Regarding what I read on the Facebook page

Moderator:The Thing Host

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
lucasausems
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Regarding what I read on the Facebook page

Postby lucasausems » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:51 am

Been reading a bit on the Facebook page here and I'm a bit taken aback by what I read. To me simming is a fun past time, that's it. Nothing more, nothing less. I remember a few months back when I read the first posts of SB42 I was very impressed by the quality and tempo the sim had and I really wanted to add in on all that fun. However, I know that I am not a regular poster. I write when I can, when I have inspiration, inspiration doesn't always come easily to me. So sometimes I am quiet, sometimes for a few weeks, occasionally for months. Andrew and Stuart know this and leave me be, for which I am very grateful :)

I think everyone on this sim is a very good writer and I always enjoy reading everyone's posts. Sabrina writes a lot and does it beautifully. Kendall's posts are of no less quality and both of you have added awesome things to the plot.

Some players are slower, less meticulous in knowing what has been written before, this should not be a problem. You cannot force people to post more, posting should not become a chore, posting must always remain a delight. When a person is tagged, it is nice if a reply is posted as soon as possible, but it should also be acceptable that a response may take a week. One post a week is an acceptable minimum and I have been in many good, even outstanding sims that followed this rule and they ran for years and years without any complaint. When someone has misread or missed something, this person can be made aware of it and given a chance to rectify, like Kendall did with me last week. No problem at all. These things can happen and are easily fixed.

I think the core of the issue is for the more demanding players in a sim to give the slower and less meticulous ones a bit more leeway, and visa versa. I think that is already happening on both sides, so that should be alright.

I always stay far away from judging what should and should not be posted, how and why the plot is being moved forward and how many side-stories we end up in. I enjoy it all. Some add more, others add less. Simming is not about the plot, it is about writing. Writing whatever comes to mind, your mind is your only limitation.

Now I do not know exactly how one can 'hijack' a plot, in my mind it is impossible for anyone to do so, it is a story written by all of us and it is our own choice whether or not to go along with something. Like I said, some add more plot than others, why should this be bad? As long as characters don't turn into heroes and all players are given a part in the play everything goes in my book.

One of the reasons I don't like being a GM is that sometimes you have to make decisions that may limit a simmer's creativity or ideas for the plot. Ideally this should never need happen. I don't know if it should have been done now because I always try to stay far away from these things and I don't know the context in which this has all happened.

All I hope for is that before actions are taken the problems are discussed by both hosts so that each knows what is up and why, and only then the issue should be brought forward to the simmer in question. When confronted the simmer should be given every opportunity to explain why he or she has written what has been written so that an agreement or compromise can be reached which is acceptable for all parties. Of course, as a GM, they reserve the right to decide if a compromise or not is possible. After all, it is their sim. But, at the same time, in my humble opinion, they also bear the responsibility to see if there is a way to fit in anything their simmers would like to add in a sim.

Andrew and Stuart are good and decent GM's. Yes, sometimes they, too, are silent when things in RL get tough, that is why there are two, if one is busy the other can keep things moving forward and engaged. I have been in sims that even had a third GM in case the other two were going through a busy period.

I know Andrew is more of a 'anything goes' type than Steward is, and I know that Steward is not always as diplomatic about things as I would like, especially when tensions rise. But I know that he means well and tries his best.

From what I read in here on the facebook page everyone was a bit riled up and saying things before thinking about them. The internet is a place where it is easy to loose your cool. So let's take a step back and breathe.

I would hate to see anyone go, I think together we make a good team and we write awesome stuff. There is a place for everyone here and we all look out for each other. SB42 is a nice place to be and that's because of all of you.

Luke Helios (Soggies)
Gil Lukat (SB 42)

Sjet

Re: Regarding what I read on the Facebook page

Postby Sjet » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:09 am

Very well put.
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X X

"I will eat your soul :3"

Amanda Rose

Re: Regarding what I read on the Facebook page

Postby Amanda Rose » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:34 am

Captain Cynthia Lynette Jackson - USS Legacy

Captain Gary Alexander - USS Horizon

Kolzak (Zak) Nikolaevich Volkov / Epsilon and Katie Marsh / Tara - Michigan Marvels

Tavlia K'Van (Heizz) - ASOG7

Return to “Questions/Concerns”