What Just Happened Was Impossible

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
What Just Happened Was Impossible

Postby Admin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:49 pm

bradDec 12, 2009
View Source
I refer to the pencil ending up in Joseph's arm in some manner.

There are several forces at work here:

The Earth's gravity - which pulls all objects towards the earth aka downward

The force exerted by Kaleb on the pencil. a character i should note atleast check was controlled by tommy and not staurt, which raises the question as to why stuart controlled kaleb to respond to it.

the force being created by joseph between kaleb's pencil and kaleb's desk.

now if kaleb's pencil broke then the pencil would go off in a tangent equal to the angle of inclination at which it was being forced down upon the surface it ritchoted off of, which was the desk. which would send it flying away from the desk.

so we end up with three basic forces;

gravity wanting the pencil to fall to the floor.

the redirected force that kaleb was exerting on the pencil which is propelling it away from the desk

and the force that joseph is exerting which is should make the pencil go the direction of the desk.

given that gravity and joseph's force are constant and both counteracting upon the redirected force that kaleb applied, it is impossible for the momentum to somehow overcome both of those forces and result in the pencil ending up in jospeh's arm.

but let us assume for a second that somehow the pencil ended up in joseph's arm. the momentum that drove it there would have been absorbed by joseph's arm. which would still leave the forces of the earth's gravity and the pull of the desk. so basically the pencil would come right back out once there was no more force propelling it away from the desk and somehow into joseph's arm.

Admin
Site Admin

Re: What Just Happened Was Impossible

KellyDec 12, 2009
View Source
Uh Oh!!!

I need to add something to Rachel's character sheet.

She's got a severe learning disability relating to complex physics. I
think she got it from me, because for the life of me, I don't
understand half of what Brad just said.

Kelly

Admin
Site Admin

stuartcollis@sbcglobal.netDec 12, 2009
View Source
Dude, I said this in private chat before you posted this. Chill! It is a game! Deal with it. If you don't want to, that's fine. The door is open for coming into the game or leaving.

LOL@Kelly

Stuart M. Collis, Esq.

There are no good wars, with the following exceptions, the American Revolution, World War II, and The Star Wars Trilogy. - Bart Simpson, circa 1990 "Bart the General"

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:50 pm

Daniel HarrisonDec 12, 2009
View Source
Law of any game no matter who's it is or how it's run. GM's word is the last one. His world, his game,. Simple as that. Been on both sides as a player and GM, and know the law well.

Good scene :)

Daniel/David Ray

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:50 pm

bradDec 13, 2009
View Source
I would argue that the laws of physics trump the laws or opinions of any man regardless of what power they may choose to grant themselves. But we have moved on.

Return to “Questions/Concerns”