Monday, August 2, 2010

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Amanda Rose
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Monday, August 2, 2010

Postby Amanda Rose » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:17 pm

Early mornings were Oliver's times at the Neptune High weight room. When he was in town over the summer and especially since the ramp up to football tryouts, he'd get up at 5, stretch, run to campus, and get his lifting in. Usually someone else would be there, but the cast varied. This was Oliver's time. This summer, for the first time, he'd been working on putting muscle mass on. Tailback was going to be very different from anything he'd done before, but if the team needed it, he'd give it his best shot. He piled a couple extra plates on the leg press machine and climbed under.

Coach Edward September was hired late for the Neptune High School football team. He heard rumors of some sort of scandal with covering up a student's misdeeds but he lacked the details as the Athletic Director, himself was new, his predecessor having retired. He had looked at his prospective team and determined that there was very little talent at the senior and junior levels but there was some promise in the sophmore class. The freshmen all needed to grow into their bodies, yet. An African American coach in an urban school was not unusual, especially where half of the student body was African American but the general lack of strength and talent for football was surprising. He sighed and decided that he would check up on the sophomore class and keep them encouraged. Moving up to Oliver, he asked, "What are you up to? Touissant, right?"

Oliver gritted his teeth and finished the rep, locking the weights in place then hopped up to face the new coach.

"Yes, sir. Oliver Toussaint. Just getting some lifting in before the day, sir."

The coach gave him a questioning look and appraised Oliver's body. "Yes, but why are you doing those extra leg presses? What are you shootin' for, son?"

Oliver paused a moment. He didn't want to criticize last year's coach, but honestly he'd never been on board with this plan himself. Realizing he couldn't stay silent long in front of a coach, he hurried on, "Trying to survive, sir. I figured I needed at least 20 pounds more muscle this summer to move to tailback."

"Tailback?!" September exclaimed. "Boy, what ever gave you the idea that you should be a tailback? You aren't going to the show that way."

Oliver couldn't help but grin at that. "No, sir. I'm definitely not. But with the injuries we suffered last year, Coach ... I mean, the previous coach ... asked me to prepare to start the year there. I've never played there, so I've been trying to put muscle on and watching a lot of tape this summer."

"Stop that nonsense right now. Your body isn't built for it and you're going to hurt yourself that way. Besides, we're going to be taking advantage of some of our natural athletic skills and move away from the three yards and a cloud of dust strategy."

Oliver sighed with relief. "Thank you, sir. I have to admit that I wasn't tracking to put on anything like that muscle. Plus I had no idea what I was going to do with that extra mass after the season."

Oliver's eyebrow quirked as he realized what the coach had just said. "Pardon me, sir, but you said the offense was changing? Is it too early for you to say what we're going to?"

"You familiar with the spread?"

A smile spread across Oliver's face. "Yes, sir. That's what I played last year. I transferred in just after football season."

"I see," September said musing. "Well, from what I can tell, it is going to be between you, Ray, and Tank, I think it is for the QB position. Though, you may look darn good as a receiver, especially in the slot."

"Whatever you need, sir. I'd like the opportunity to compete for QB1, but if one of the others beats me out, I'm happy to play receiver or tight end or safety." He grinned. "I know from hockey I can hit a little bit."

"You're a little light for tight end right now, Touissant, but we'll see. I won't rule out anything. I have no ties here and no favorites, so you have all the competition that you can have at any position. However, if I were in your position, I would not concentrate on the tailback position."

"Understood, sir. Do you have any tape of the offense you'd like to run? I'd like to be as prepared as possible."

"I've got no tape but I'm partial to West Virginia's and Oklahoma State's Air Raid style. If we can't do that, we will go with Oregon's spread option."

"Understood. I'll see what I can find. We ran a pistol-based system similar to those. Multiple sets, read option run game, run/pass options. I think it'll translate well, sir."

"There are differences. Indiana's got a good pistol system but from what I've seen, we have some good arms and some fast legs. We'll have to see about the line."

Oliver nods along with the coach's assessment. "The advantage of the multiple sets and options, is that we can introduce hesitation to the other team. Buy the line time."
"Indeed but also adds to the confusion of the offense if there is not sufficient time to study all the formations. As it is, I am concerned with the transition."

"Of course it'll be hard, but we can do it, Coach."

Semptember gave Touissant a small smile. The boy was full of optimism but September knew that many of the juniors and seniors were a few eggs short of a dozen. "We'll see, Touissant. Love the enthusiasm. Keep up the good work."

"Lesson from my catcher last baseball season, sir. If I don't act like I believe in the team, why would they believe in me?"

"Sounds like a smart catcher. You a pitcher?"

"A little bit, yes. I've always done a bit of shortstop, center field, and pitching. I was used mostly as a defensive sub in center last year, sir."

"So, you're fast? Guess we'll see when we start running."

Oliver shrugged and smiled a little. "I'm fast, sir, but I'm not track fast. Jujuan will smoke me, but I like to think that on the field I'm not easy to catch."

The coach nodded. "There's different types of fast, Touissant: fast, quick, elusive, game speed, and so on. We'll find out what you are and the others are soon enough."

"Yes, sir," Oliver answered hearing what he assumed to be the end of the conversation. "I'll get back to my usual workouts instead of focusing on muscle gain."

"Good plan. Door's open if you have any other issues."

"Understood, sir." Oliver hesitated. "Sir, I'd like to start a students-only film night this year. As I understand it, if it's just us it doesn't count against our maximum practice time. If you would, think about if you like the idea and when/where we could do it."

Oliver started pulling the plates off the leg press machine and replacing them on the racks.

"Film study is slated for Mondays, already. And it all counts."

"Couldn't agree more, Coach!"
Captain Cynthia Lynette Jackson - USS Legacy

Captain Gary Alexander - USS Horizon

Kolzak (Zak) Nikolaevich Volkov / Epsilon and Katie Marsh / Tara - Michigan Marvels

Tavlia K'Van (Heizz) - ASOG7

BanksAT

Re: Monday, August 2, 2010

Postby BanksAT » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:03 pm

OOC: Watch out, David! Oliver's comin' for your job again! Might not beat you out, but you best be prepared to work. :D
Oliver Toussaint, Michigan Marvels

Return to “Current Plot Thread”