Day 5.5: The Boats The Beacon Builders Built

Moderators:Dryad Wood Host, USS Horizon Host

Amanda Rose
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Re: Day 5.5: The Boats The Beacon Builders Built

Postby Amanda Rose » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:25 pm

Captain Cynthia Lynette Jackson - USS Legacy

Captain Gary Alexander - USS Horizon

Kolzak (Zak) Nikolaevich Volkov / Epsilon and Katie Marsh / Tara - Michigan Marvels

Tavlia K'Van (Heizz) - ASOG7

KendleRJ

Postby KendleRJ » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:08 pm

'That was a bit uncharacteristic of the Captain,' Kat thought as her face remained ever in the neutral position of those who were paid to observe but not paid to speak up. Impatience... with a lover. She supposed it was bound to happen since he was involved in one way or another with every female in the room, and one who was not. Was it a professional reaction? Or one that stemmed from a personal place? She would only know from more observation, so she filed it away along with furtive glances and exchanged looks that were stolen throughout the meeting.

The Commander was rattled, that much was clear. And on top of having new people aboard from a species they knew nothing about, and having battled monsters on the surface of the planet below them, there was a monster aboard The Horizon. Not the variety that had one head, but many, and someone was feeding them with fears and innuendo, half truths and suppositions that were fueling them to take the greatest steps against those who were committed and duty-bound to protect them. Her eyes swept over all of them at the table, and lingered a little longer on the Doctor, mostly to ensure that if he needed immediate assistance, she could call for some from his very own Sickbay.

There was an elephant in the room, a phrase she enjoyed from the 20th Century that was highly descriptive. What they were NOT saying was that they had become fractured. That the crew was no longer a whole being, with one clear mission, and everyone working towards its achievement. Now, they were a multi-specied pack of spooked animals, fighting for dominance and their own survival, one shuddering breath at a time. She sniffed delicately, as though tasting the air, and it was acrid with fear, animosity, and a soupçon of adrenaline. It felt as though there were caged beasts within the confines of this conference room, and it made Kat long for a whip and a chair to keep them all at bay. Not all of them were lions... yet. But she was sure they were transforming into them as she watched.

It felt as though something were about to snap... and she found herself holding her breath, waiting for it. Until she realised she had to take one, inhale and she did so tentatively, a trembling beginning in her hand that she had to hide by flexing and unflexing her fingers, balling them finally in a tight fist, focusing the energy that could do nothing but continue to build until someone broke it, and made it boil over. She stood involuntarily and began to pace, trying to dissipate it and found herself longing to head to the gym, feel the decking beneath her feet as they slapped down, run without care...

Someone coughed and she was brought back to the room. Retaking her seat she smiled, a simple and disarming gesture and at no one in particular while her fingers turned white and her fingernails dug deeply into the palm of her hand.

Tags

OOC - Another incidental post brought to you by Kat, 'cause I can ;) - Also, y'all can break that shit up and post in between if you feel so inclined... also, 'cause you can
USS Legacy
Ensign Navkiran Khangura - Engineering
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Ciara Mei
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Ciara Mei » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:24 pm

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:51 pm

Kolzak (Zak) Nikolaevich Volkov / Epsilon and Katie Marsh / Tara - Michigan Marvels

Ciara Mei

Postby Ciara Mei » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:10 pm

KendleRJ

Postby KendleRJ » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:09 pm

Dolly and Whit obediently were led to another room by Talia. Whit muttered to Dolly, as they were led, “I dunno why the Cap’in gave us this dumb one ta watch us. Didn’t even know I was male, did she? Though, its not like you have two coconuts to put together a solid thought, do ya?”

Dolly gave Talia a glance and shrugged. Her eyes turned slightly upwards. Was that the equivalent of an eye roll?

Whit then looked at Talia and said, “Guess Cap’in doesn’t think we’re a threat if he gave us you to guard us, eh?”

Talia smiled politely at the other two and shrugged. “Guess you’re not too up on the whole idea of politeness, huh?” Sitting down, she gave a look to each on in turn. “Also, kinda dumb to think I can’t hear or understand you. I study language and Xenoanthropology. I asked to be here so I could study you in closer proximity… make assessments of your threat level and the like from common behaviours observed in different species.”

Taking a deep breath she held up a hand. “And before you go comparing me to this Congo group again, might I remind you that you’re still breathing and fairly free aboard this vessel.” Shrugging she looked at them both plainly. “He might consider you a threat, but also put you with the one person who could understand you, whether the translators are functioning or not.”

For a moment she sat silently, watching the two of them closely. “Funny though… you never considered that I might not feel easily threatened…” Talia smiled slowly and sat, still eyeing them.

“Now? We wait…”

Dolly shuffled over to Talia and motioned for her to bend down.

Keeping her eye on Whit and Dolly, Talia instead crouched, balanced on her feet, one in front of the other, watchful. After all, had she not just issued a challenge of sorts?

Dolly spoke quickly. “Men think we dumb. But they lost without us. No? Best to let ‘em think they in charge. Bet you are da smart one.”

“What are you sayin’, woman? Get away from that dumb broad. Yer’d have better luck talkin’ to a varsitoad.”

Talia smiled, eyes open and vacant at Whit and shrugged ever so slowly. “Nothing of consequence I’m sure,” and kept the smile firmly affixed to her face. “If you’d like to wait here, I could leave you both here.” Her smile never wavered.

“That would mean, however, that I’d have to call Security to take my place instead.” Her eyes shifted only slightly, a subtle state of meaning. “But they wouldn’t be quite so well-versed with your language.. or your importance.”

Let him think her stupid now…

“Nuttin’ of consequence, no doubt. No need fer security, though. We be friends. Dunna wanna harm this ship.”

Talia smiled and nodded. “Friends then,” she said, hand indicating seats. “We can wait here while the others talk. And maybe you can give me a bit of a history lesson about where you come from.”

It was a simple enough question, one that was in the form of a statement, very like a professor or doctor of some form of paleontology might adopt to get information. Not in a pressing sort of way, but certain, from a research and personal way. If they ever made it home, she would be the leading authority on this part of the galaxy, and if she started to document everything she could as she found it, then hers would be the first voice, and certainly be of importance if she ever wished to return to a desk planetside… perhaps in her waning years some time far into the future.

Her face was expectant, and took on one of childlike wonder; if he was going to tell stories, she didn’t mind how they were phrased. After all, in his opinion, she wouldn’t understand anyway. So perhaps he might share more because the majority of it would go over her head. In one sense or another. There might be a great advantage being underestimated.

“History?!” Whit asked? He then laughed. “That’s a-right, yer not from these thar parts. Quick history so you can understand, then. Thar were many planets ruled by many factions. Then the Congo came in, made of the four most powerful races, so they ‘em said. One’s da Kaerens. They have hair all over them bodies. Brown or black. And they have a tail. Strong, it is. Can support their full body weight. Sunken eyes, big ears, jaw or bottom of face comes forward. Mouth takes up most of it and stretches the same length as their eyes. Flatter nose, too. Two hands and feet, but fingers and toes are very long. Then, um, let’s see, der’s da Dalons. Dey da most dangerous. Shape shifters. Could not even tell you what one really looks like. Dey don’t like cold, dat I can tell you. Draziri are real ugly critters, let me tell ya. I never did see one eat. Dat skin looks more like armor and dey got sharp spikes all over ‘em. I hear dey can toss ‘em too. Worse, rumor has it that if you get too near that you would drop dead from them natural poison. Can’t say I want to test it, no! Finally, the Lollons. They be strange ones, too. They have long arms and legs. Sharp nails. Dey can fly. Dey be normally a color between yeller and green. Well, dey also be able to talk in your head. Some say dey can read yer thoughts. When der mood changes, dey change color, too. Now, if yer really want to hear sometin and I dunna if I believe it, but some say der is a fifth member of the group. Well, dey make the rules, this Congo and any that don’t comply, well, dey don’t live too long, especially if dey refuse to join the Congo Alliance. Some, like us, survive by pretendin’ and bidin’ our time ‘til someone knock off the Congo. Maybe your ship, here, can? Seems powerful.”

Talia was cataloguing as Whit spoke, her face placid as her mind raced, placing the various races he was discussing and measuring their ability to meet, overcome or even negotiate any or all of the races. It seemed daunting, and she nodded as though she were somewhat challenged by his list.

“So, the Congo’s got power. But what about the others? Folks like yourself?” Surely she could get more information… maybe work out what other resources they might be able to get without succumbing to or being absorbed by, a greater force than their own.

“Others? What be yer talkin’? Me and Dolly be here.”

Talia smiled, an open gesture. “Other people from different planets in this here system. Those others…”

“Not a brain in your head, is thar?” Whit asked. “I just got done tellin’ yer about da others.”

“No, I’m afraid not,” said Talia quietly, watching him and stealing glances at Dolly. “I meant the others NOT in the Congo… that might think like you two do. That live afraid, but might want to be saved, or even maybe fight against them.”

She waited a beat, eyes glancing to the door and then back into the room. “THOSE others.”

Dolly gave a slight, imperceptivel shrug at Talia, hoping that Whit did not notice, as evidenced by the roll of her eyes.

Whit got angry. “Yer Capin’ ain’t got nuttin’ to do with this! Yer insane.”

“I didn’t mean the Captain,” Talia said patiently. “I was simply expecting someone to come soon enough to fetch us. But if there are no others in the whole of this place that would stand against the Congo… I’m not sure how we might do it, just you two and us.”

“You mean to fight dem?” Whit asked, laughing heartily. “Right. Good luck committing hairy carey. Maybe we should leave, Dolly.”

“Avoid them, then?” Talia ventured, unsure what these two smaller beings really wanted or expected from them. Congo or not… what might they have to gain from one another except perhaps some mutual safety and knowledge in the huge expanse? What had she missed that they would be able to benefit from?

Kat rounded the corner and depressed the chime on the conference room, more out of politeness than necessity. “Ensign Flowers?” she began, heels clipping smartly on the decking.

Talia looked up and nodded. “Yeoman,” she said and stood, looking at Dolly and Whit. “I believe they’re ready for us to return.” She held out her arm in a passive ushering motion as Kat remained by the open door. She looked them over and turned on her heel, leading the way back to where the Command Team waited.

Tags All Around
USS Legacy
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Dante_Vigano

Postby Dante_Vigano » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:08 pm

Dante had rolled his eyes at this whole situation, quietly making his way around the ship to make sure everything was in proper working order. He was never any good at negotiating much of anything, at least this kind of negotiation. Back home he was perfectly capable of "negotiating" all he wanted. He gently ran a finger over a panel and shook his head gently.

"Machines, so much more cooperative than other species. Does what you tell it to and, if it doesn't work, it's just a case of opening up the insides and fixing whatever's going wrong. But, humans always come out on top due to their other features even if you have to deal with egos from here and there."

It was an odd situation they found themselves in and, in the quest for exploration and understanding, they've had his people running around doing this and that. Power seemed to be a popular commodity, and trying to find a way to squeeze all the extra juice that could be found. The best thing was that it kept the new arrivals out of his hair and out of the way.

"At least I was fortunate to get an assignment that was...visually pleasing."

He smiled and kept walking, flashing a million-dollar smile at a passing female crew member whose face turned red as she hurried off. He looked at her as she quickly turned a corner and chuckled.

"Well, maybe space isn't so different from home after all."

TAGS

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:51 pm

KendleRJ

Postby KendleRJ » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:48 pm

Talia watched the Yeoman go and turned to face those in the conference room. She wasted no time in using the monitor in the centre of the table and let everyone listen in on their conversation. At points, she paused, extrapolating some things, including cultural hierarchy, and still was considering social norms with personal preferences when she discussed Whit's particular beliefs with respect to women.

"So, now, Captain, we're all caught up with regards to our allies," Ensign Flowers said and stood at the edge of the table. "Any questions, or can we get the good Doctor to Sickbay and have everyone from the Away Mission checked out?"

Tags
USS Legacy

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:03 pm

Return to “Current Mission Logs”