Day 5.5: The Boats The Beacon Builders Built

Moderators:Dryad Wood Host, USS Horizon Host

Amanda Rose
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Re: Day 5.5: The Boats The Beacon Builders Built

Postby Amanda Rose » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:22 pm

Captain Cynthia Lynette Jackson - USS Legacy

Captain Gary Alexander - USS Horizon

Kolzak (Zak) Nikolaevich Volkov / Epsilon and Katie Marsh / Tara - Michigan Marvels

Tavlia K'Van (Heizz) - ASOG7

Ciara Mei
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Ciara Mei » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:24 am

Melissa Richards

Postby Melissa Richards » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:06 am

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:29 am

By this time, the Captain and the Communication officer had left the bridge. In the Legacy's shuttlebay, what could only loosely be called a ship, landed. It seemed more a hodgepodge of parts that were thrown together roughly. There was no paint job on its hull, so it reflected the color of its varying different materials that created the ship. Its shape was roughly circular. No door was evident. There, Gary and Talia waited for some sort of door to open. Gary gave a brief glance at Talia and asked, "Should we knock?"

Picking her way behind the Captain, Ensign Flowers was more than a little trepidatious to be included in an epic meeting. Not in their own solar system, hell not even in their galaxy. What might be lurking, waiting, anticipating… ready for ambushing? It was not an easy thing to tell. That is, until she laid eyes on the ship that appeared less smooth, less organised, even less threatening than she first imagined. “Knocking implies courtesy, Captain. I can only surmise from their language structure that politesse is required, but what particular etiquette is required will be more of a learning process.”

She moved to the shuttlebay computer and tapped in her personal codes, bringing up the translation program. “There, Captain,” she said from her place at the monitor. “I’m running something that will help us understand each other.” She smiled with some confidence, and indicated that he should speak with a professional flourish. “Perhaps that might serve as your door knocking, Sir?”

Gary looked over at Flowers and gave her a warm smile. “You never cease to amaze me, Ensign. What is it that you cannot do?”

No changes occurred in the ship as the Captain dared a glance back at it.

“That subject is up for debate,” she murmured under her breath and smiled with the slightest glint in her eye. Straightening herself professionally, she changed tacts. “Perhaps saying hello might do the trick?”

“You are as much of an expert as I am when it comes to this,” Gary admitted. He moved up to the ship, slowly but confidently. Before he knocked on it, a space about four feet high opened about four feet over the surface of the shuttlebay. A figure looked out from the side of the opening. Its hair was black and long. It had dark brown eyebrows and a nose that did not protrude far from its face. It wore what could only be described as a skeptical smile. It asked, “Is this Horizon? Who are you both?”

Gary introduced himself, “I am Captain Gary Alexander. This is my communications officer, Ensign Talia Flowers. She has made it possible for us to communicate.” He gestured over at Flowers in introduction and gave her a slight look indicating that it would be alright for her to speak.

Nodding, Talia stepped forward. “I am Dr., I mean, Ensign Talia Flowers.” She looked at the face and smiled, letting it expand over her face and into her eyes. She wasn’t sure if it might find such a thing offensive or even aggressive, but to be honest, they were both spitballing here with a different species, and there would have to be some exploration and compromise.

“How might we address you?” It was a simple question, one she had hoped might begin a neutral and pleasant conversation, or at the very least, civil.

A questioning look appeared over the figure’s face and then she looked into the ship and yelled, “They talk funny, Whit. Maybe you can understand this farking grap. One says that she is a doctor. Nice to know. Not many doctors who are not Congo.”

Talia stifled a laugh and covered it with a cough as her eyes widened slightly.

A second figure appeared in the opening and some stairs unfolded out from the opening. This figure was slightly taller than the first and had a full, thick black beard that stretched to near the collarbone. Specks of red were throughout the black beard. He rumbled down the stairs and strolled up to the Captain. “You ne’r missed a meal, did ya?” He then looked at Flowers and asked, “You male or female?”

She saw the second one and then watched him move, noting the technology and interesting developments made, she imagined, out of necessity. Probably to somehow avoid or evade this Congo that was mentioned.

Her eyes monitored his progress and began to assess musculature, skeletal structure, body layout… based on her limited knowledge of the species back in their home solar system.

There was an awkward pause before she realised that the one in front of her had asked a question, and her brain caught up with it, processing it slowly. “I’m female,” she answered finally, looking up at him.

“And you?” she countered.

The rotund bearded figure turned back to Gary and pointed back at Talia asking, “So, women can’t handle the obvious from where you’re from either? And she’s a doctor?”

He turned to face Talia again and then in loud, slow words said, “I AM MAaaaLE! You won’t be checking that out, though, if you get my meaning.”

“I should have guessed, with an attitude like that,” she said, arching an eyebrow. “I’m not deaf, or stupid, but it seems, even travelling this far away from home, that we’d run into someone who was a smart ass.” She grinned, and suddenly realised that that might not have been the best way to conduct herself with a formal First Contact meeting. But well… too late now.

“I get your meaning, just fine,” she said directly to the male alien (well, nameless guy, because technically, THEY were the aliens…). “I don’t go around checking that out generally, especially at a first meeting.” She turned to look at the Captain. “It’s always refreshing to discover that men haven’t really evolved that much the Universe over.”

Gary furrowed his brows and gave Talia a small teasing scowl. “You will have to excuse Ensign Flowers. She has lost a great deal of sleep trying to learn the languages of your galaxy.”

Whit laughed, “Definitely not Congo. Doctors that won’t search!” He called back at the other figure, “Come out, Dolly, they’re alright.”

The other rotund figure dropped down and fell into place next to Whit. “Get your people back from the planet?” he asked. “Land sharks get ‘em?”

“Funny that you should mention that. The ship seems to be stuck in a shield.”

“You guys don’t know nutin’ do ya? Didn’t get the password? Just key in 42 in binary.”

Gary called to the bridge, “Tell the shuttle to key the number 42 in binary so they can get back.”

tag - Wells

“Well, it seems that you have been quite helpful. Perhaps we should go to our meeting room and discuss our futures. May I ask your sign?”

“Whit,” he said raising a hand above his head, palm outstretched.

The other reached her hand above her head and said, “Dolly.”

“Pleased to meet you both,” Flowers responded, a slight tinge to her cheeks. She had nearly put their meeting in jeopardy to her quick repartee and lack of tact. She wasn’t sure what the hands might have signified, but well, she reached out and did the same. “Talia,” she said and grinned lopsidedly at Whit and Dolly. “Pleased to meet you.”

Gary raised his hand as well, surmising it must be some sort of greeting, “Captain Alexander. Would you follow me, please?” he asked as he pulled his arm down.

Whit’s brows moved closer together. “We’re not Congo. Why do you talk like that?”

Gary glanced over at Talia, looking for answers.

“We’re not from around here,” said Talia. “The Captain is head of our ship, so he has a certain way of speaking to show you respect. That’s how we talk where we come from, Whit.” She looked at the Captain and then looked back at the two Not Congos.

“We’re not Congo either,” she said. “But we don’t know what ‘Congo’ is… can you help us with that, maybe?”

“Maybe?” Dolly asked. “Definitely,” she stated. “And you help us.”

Whit tried to clamp her mouth with his hand before she uttered, “And you help us,” stating, “The Conglomerate. They control this quadrant.”

Gary decided that directness was more appropriate for his guests as courtesy seemed to confuse them. “We don’t know the history. Elaborate.”

Whit smiled at Gary. “A long yarn, that is. I suspect yers is too.”

Gary nodded. “True. But summaries would be appreciated. You have helped my crew. How can we help you?” He looked over at Talia to determine her thoughts.

Good questions, and definitely a relief for their conversation. Formality was something that Talia rebelled against regularly, so it was a little like she had almost found a mutual understanding. A resonance… this was why she so loved exploration! She was absorbed in the business of study… body posturing, facial expressions, unspoken communication and their connection to each other. It was fascinating.

But too, it seemed that there was some darkness that overshadowed the meeting. This Congo or Conglomerate… It was probably the crux of Dolly and Whit’s need for help. But without more information?

Well, the one she could tell from their movements was that they were used to being on the run. She suspected that they had stumbled into something a bit darker than just repairing a hull or perhaps trading food for information...

They reached the meeting room and Gary walked inside first, since his guests seemed to be more comfortable not being treated with courtesy. He did not check for Talia or to see when she was following, knowing that Whit, at least seemed to have less value for women.

Talia brought up the rear, watching the interaction between them all, and the stances each of them took with the other. Usually, she would be asked to sit first but with the body language and small cues, she waited instead until everyone else was settled. Choosing a seat, she sat and looked around the table at everyone. Plugging her PADD into the tabletop, she continued running the program within the confines of the room. She’d have to work with Engineering to perhaps suggest it be made a permanent part of the structure.

Whit and Dolly struggled into their chosen seats, making sure that they lifted a leg and arm to pull their body weight up so that they could sit in the chairs. Their legs dangled in mid-air as they sat in the seats. Their weight caused the chairs to sink noticeably but not deeply.

tag or not?

But getting ahead of herself might get her into trouble… as it had in the past. She all but blurted out, “So… what do you want?”

“Doctor and server?” Whit asked Gary approvingly. “You got talent ‘ere. Don’t suppose you have Sylvan Ambrosia from where yer from,” he simultaneously told and asked Talia.

Gary smiled, stifling a laugh. “Talia does have a great deal of talent.”

“I have many skills,” she replied with a slight lilt in her voice and shrugged. “I’m guessing that it’s some form of fermented beverage.” Sighing she stood and shook her head slowly. “And I’m guessing it’s local. Since we haven’t been here long enough to do much trading, I’m going to go with a hearty ‘no’ on the Ambrosia,” she said.

“But let me see if I can manage something that might appease…” Whiskey… the universal language of alcoholics the world over. Surely it had the power to transcend mere planetary boundaries.

“Let’s try this,” she said, opening a bottle and pouring a glass for each of them seated. She would abstain… because someone might want to keep a level head…

“Fermented?” Whit asked. He looked at Gary and said, “Definitely a doctor. Uses words that mean other things. She means alcohol, right?”

Gary nodded. “Yes, alcohol. This is called whiskey. I hope that it meets your taste.”

Gary frowned at Talia and gave her a look that clearly indicated that she should take a glass too. “From where we are from, we propose a toast. It is a symbol of well wishes. We raise the glass, say our speech and then drink.” Gary raised his glass but patiently waited for Talia to pour herself one and to raise her glass.

(I’m assuming a small bar in the conference room for just such occasions… please correct me if I’m wrong… Works for me. Never seen one way or the other in Trek but seems a reasonable assumption. Of course, no synthahol in this world. Real alcohol. :) )

Talia pulled over a glass and poured some for herself as well, raising her glass in turn. She pursed her lips slightly with some disappointment, but waited for the Captain to continue.

Gary searched for small but meaningful words. “To new friends.” He raised his glass higher and reached it in towards the group.

Watching Gary, Whit and Dolly uncertainly did the same.

“To new friends,” said Talia and moved her glass inward as well, clinking it against the Captain’s and then holding hers out for similar treatment from the others.

The smaller Whit and Dolly attempted to reach their glasses to Gary’s and Talia’s but realized quickly their arms would not reach. They gestured their off hands to show the attempt but both drank from their glass shortly after failing to reach Gary and Talia’s glasses.

Whit cried out, “Hoo wee! That’s farking keen. Whiskey you say? Burns smooth. You treat us better than Congo!”

Gary smiled at Talia and then turned back to the guests. “Glad you approve.”

Dolly downed her entire glass and seemed nonplussed. “More?”

Talia slid the bottle over and poured Dolly another. She had no idea how their metabolism might process it, but well, there was still quite a bit left in the bottle. “Anyone else?” she asked, lifting it as an offering to the others.

Perhaps it might help the conversation flow a bit more easily.

Whit nodded and held out his glass, as did Dolly.

Gary held his out, as well. However, it was clear that Gary had not drank much of his whiskey. A fill up would not likely be required.

The Ensign refilled each glass in turn and touched the bottle to the Captain’s.

Whit said, “So, yer wanted to know about Congo. They are a wicked bunch. Control this quadrant, they do. Keep everyone under their bended knee. Rape the planets and the people, they do. We just try to survive. We have a right to live free.”

Gary nodded. “Everyone does, I believe. When you say rape, what do you mean?”

He asked Talia, “Do you know if he meant that literally or figuratively?”

“Literally,” she retorted. “I doubt very much there is a ‘figurative’ bone in their bodies… of course if there are bones in there at all… depending on their physiology.”

Whit answered, “Yer a doctor, too?”

Gary laughed. “I’m not a doctor.”

“Thankfully,” muttered Talia under her breath and looked up at the others. “Wicked, you say. Sounds ominous. And dangerous.” She sighed and looked at the Captain.

“For everyone.”

Dolly looked at Talia like she had two heads. “Only some Congo have no bones. What do you take me fer?”

“So, the planets are stripped of the resources and they forcibly have sex with the people?”

Whit answered, “Often worse. We are less than property to them.”

“Nice place we landed in, Captain…” Talia said. “If this is where we’re going to be living, at least for the next little while, I think we might want to become acquainted with every possibility and resource to protect ourselves and our friends or allies from any and all threats.”

“I agree. Perhaps we should get the senior staff in to meet our new friends so we can all hear the same information. What do you think, Ensign?”

Nodding, she placed her glass on the table. “I think that would be the best thing, Captain. Equal sharing of information.” That would go far with the crew at large, and besides, it might even allow her some surreptitious observations of their visitors in action. She would learn a great deal from them, she was sure.

Gary moved to the wall and hit the comm, “All senior staff and Yeoman Tell to Meeting Room B.”

tags to all

Kolzak (Zak) Nikolaevich Volkov / Epsilon and Katie Marsh / Tara - Michigan Marvels

Melissa Richards

Postby Melissa Richards » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:28 am

Ciara Mei

Postby Ciara Mei » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:37 pm

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:21 pm

KendleRJ

Postby KendleRJ » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:17 pm

"Going to guess a warning, or greeting, or.." She shook her head. "Are there any weak spots we could get through?"

Looking up at the Lieutenant she shrugged, and watched the flickering spots that kept illuminating as they watched. The weak spots could only appear that way... could be rotating, fluctuating even minutely... "Maybe for an experienced pilot," Kat said, and looked behind her once more to the people who were with her. "I'm not willing to take a chance with your life, or anyone's aboard, Lieutenant."

She moved to open a channel to the Horizon once more, but before she could, a brief message flashed over and through. "42?" She chuckled, despite the tense situation and thought that it was more than just a little ironic that the answer to the Ultimate Question of the Universe, at least according to Douglas Adams, and it held true even out here. Kat arched an eyebrow at the Lieutenant as she input the information and shrugged.

Ciara moved over to look at the incoming information. "42? Why would we need to input 42?" With a heavy sigh, Ciara input the information, not quite sure she understood how it would possibly get them out. "Secret code to this shield? Seems even here just numbers get us through things."

She tried to watch and see if there was any change in the force field, looking at the others.

"Wasn't 42 in some story about being ze answer to everything?"

Whatever the answer to that question, the force field dissipated and allowed the shuttle to pass.

Kat decided to keep her council and say nothing, focusing instead of the short trip back to the Horizon. Perhaps there would be answers aboard, and she said politely, "Please take your seat, we'll be back aboard in no time."

Raising her voice, she asked, "Doctor? Chief? How are you both holding up back there?"

Tags or not

They would be headed to Sick Bay, and her orders, once aboard, was to report to a Meeting Room. What had changed since their eventful away mission? Was everything and everyone all right aboard? She took a deep breath and focused on landing them all safely so they could indeed find out.

Tags (could do the fuss and bustle for Medical pick up and escorts to Meeting Room B... or could jump. Either way? Kat's there... probably without cleaning herself up. They're all a little worse for wear for sure. lol)
USS Legacy
Ensign Navkiran Khangura - Engineering
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Melissa Richards

Postby Melissa Richards » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:14 am

Commander Mary Wells
Executive Officer

Having made her way down to the meeting room, Wells took a cautious look around, then entered. Taking in who was present and how different the visitors looked, she slowly made her way around the table looking at Gary. "Message relayed for all senior staff to be present. The ones from the shuttle should arrive soon."

tags

Dante_Vigano

Postby Dante_Vigano » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:43 pm

"Cazzo!"

Dante rubbed the back of his head as he crawled out from under the panel he had been working on. Repairs had been going on all around the ship in earnest and he had been right in there along with everybody else. He had barely had time to get settled in before things started to go awry, so his belongings had just sort of been thrown in a corner and ignored until he could get a shot at putting everything away properly. But fixing things came first aboard a ship, and he was sure there wasn't going to be a shortage of work to do.

He caught a few odd looks from those who'd been there for a while as he walked towards the exit to go to the meeting that had been called. It was a surprise, being called to a senior staff as an ensign. The galaxy was a strange place sometimes. He gave the equipment to another technician that he was passing on the way out and cast a flirty smile towards a nurse he ran across on his way to the meeting room. Before long, he found the door to where the other, far more experienced, staff sat. He walked in calmly and coolly, quickly taking a seat in a chair.

"Buongiorno everyone"

tags

Return to “Current Mission Logs”