Day 4 - A Destination?

Moderators:Dryad Wood Host, USS Horizon Host

Amanda Rose
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Day 4 - A Destination?

Postby Amanda Rose » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:22 am

Lieutenant Kevin Matthews was a steady gentleman. He was never ruffled. He rarely expressed emotion and he was exceptionally prompt. The highest compliment that you could give him was that he was reliable as clockwork. But was that not what a Captain expected in his Chief Engineer? Matthews, just like his attitude was rather dull. He had a round face and nearly perfect oval brown eyes. There were creases in his face, implying that he was no longer a young man but not so many to show old. His official records listed him at 40. He had taken the practical step of hair regeneration where a bald spot had formed on the back of his head fifteen years prior; however, he had let his hair go mostly grey. Patches of his dark brown hair remained on his sides.

He arrived at Meeting Room C, which his Yeoman Michelle Noonen had scheduled for him. He supposed that Shelly, as she preferred to be called, though he refused to do so, was an attractive woman but he never took the time to notice. His fellow Engineers did it for him. At times they had suggested there might be a relationship between the two of them. However, it became readily apparent after a few months that his only interested in Yeoman Noonen was professional.

Yeoman Noonen had indicated to him that she would not be at the meeting, as she was not requested. Matthews had little opinion on the matter. However, he was curious why the Captain would have an Ensign call a meeting of this nature. Having only that question in mind, he waited at the back of the room for the Chief Science Officer and Ensign Flowers to arrive.

tag - Flowers, Ci
Captain Cynthia Lynette Jackson - USS Legacy

Captain Gary Alexander - USS Horizon

Kolzak (Zak) Nikolaevich Volkov / Epsilon and Katie Marsh / Tara - Michigan Marvels

Tavlia K'Van (Heizz) - ASOG7

Ciara Mei
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Day 4 - A Destination?

Postby Ciara Mei » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:45 am

Ciara grumbled as her alarm went off the next morning. She’d slept well, but enjoyed being able to stay in bed some days. Unwillingly pulling herself out of bed, she got herself ready with her uniform dress and makeup. Looking at herself in the mirror, she decided today to pull her hair up a bit. No doubt she’d be doing some actual work today compared to the previous day, so having her hair up would help.

Double-checking the time, she frowned and started out for Meeting Room C. Of course, she had to be sure that was actually where she was supposed to be going before she went there. Normally, she’d ended up in Meeting Room B. This time, it was Meeting Room C. Then she remembered who she was meeting with. “Oh, this’ll be a fun meeting…”

After getting herself a bit of coffee to wake-up with, Ci slipped into the room with a slight yawn. It seemed that Matthews was already there and waiting. He did seem a bit bored, though he normally did. Sitting down in one of the seats, she looked over at him with a nod. “Lieutenant. Any idea what this meeting is about? I didn’t get any information from the request.”

Tag: Matthews.

KendleRJ

Postby KendleRJ » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:39 pm

Ensign Talia Flowers

How long had she slept? Or really, had she? The moments were all running together, so when Talia's reminder alarm went off she was jarred awake. Stretching, she took a look at the pile of data on the table in her quarters and headed to freshen up. Yes, it looked like she'd slept in her clothes, and yes, she didn't look like she'd slept all that long. Well, a new uniform should help at least. And a nice full stretch, because sleeping face first on a pile of data was not the most comfortable or glamourous thing. But being either wasn't why she joined Starfleet; if it was, she would have been sorely disappointed.

It hadn't taken long, but it had been worth the effort as she scooped up her findings, her requests and her PADD and headed for the meeting.

It had just sounded the time as she strode through the door, looking a bit more put together, with a bright look in her eye, and her thoughts already fourteen steps ahead...

"Good morning," she said brightly, as though addressing a class and summarily dumped everything she was carrying on the table before them. "Lieutenant," she nodded at Matthews, "Lieutenant," she nodded at Perlit.

"Before we begin, I've been asked to ensure you maintain the strictest confidence and anything we discuss or the results of our meeting cannot be shared with anyone other than the Captain." She looked at them both plainly and waited a moment before continuing. "Because I've found something, and we need to coordinate our efforts to find out as much as we can without putting ourselves or the ship at risk."

Tags
USS Legacy
Ensign Navkiran Khangura - Engineering
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:30 pm

Kolzak (Zak) Nikolaevich Volkov / Epsilon and Katie Marsh / Tara - Michigan Marvels

Ciara Mei

Postby Ciara Mei » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:51 am

Ciara eyed the other two and sat forward, placing her coffee on the table. Her eyes went over towards Flowers after Matthews spoke. “Yes, please tell us. If you have brought science and engineering into this, it must be important.”

It wasn’t often that Ci went into work mode, but this was different. Engineering and science working together meant they needed power. But also had to allocate where the power they did have went to.

Tags: Flowers, Matthews

KendleRJ

Postby KendleRJ » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:29 pm

Meanwhile... in Kat's shared quarters

Shelly was relieved that she was done with Lieutenant Boring today and she headed back to her room to switch shifts with KAT. All the questions that she had for KAT today were running through her head. Clearly, Ensign Flowers was at the top of her list.

She slipped into her room and turned on the light. "Rise and shine, KAT!" she said in a pleasant voice. "Almost time for you to get to your morning meeting with that hunk of yours."

Kat yawned stretching and rubbed her eyes slowly. "Did you run all the way here?" she asked sleepily as she climbed out of bed, and padded to the bathroom. "Really, Shelly, thanks for the wake up, but my alarm is..." it sounded in a steady tone... "usually pretty good."

"Anything to get away from Lieutenant Boring," she told KAT. "Besides, apparently he has a big, hush hush meeting with your Captain's newest flame, though I can't see what he sees in her."

Kat's head peaked from around the corner and looked at Shelly with hard eyes. "Gossip?" she said acidly. "You're just upset because it's not you..."
Rolling her eyes as she continued to get ready, and sighed deeply. Which one was she referring to? Did it matter, really? Kat decided that it didn't, and she quickly got undressed and stepped into the sonic shower.

Maybe less to hear in there... and less to answer. At least for now.

Shelly's voice somehow rang over the sonic shower, "Oh, come on, KAT! The Captain has always had better taste than THAT. I mean, really?! And why not me? Or you! And what is all this stuff about that an Ensign is calling a meeting! An ENSIGN!"

"Can't hear you!" Kat said and scrubbed harder. What an annoying... she must be... Ensign Flowers... that was her name. Well, there would be a lot more that the Captain would be juggling before the trip was done.

"Well hurry up already!" Shelly exclaimed in an inpatient voice.

Sighing heavily, she wrapped herself in a towel and began getting ready.

Go ahead, her very demeanour seemed to say, although without any enthusiasm.

"So, KAT, come on! What is it with this Ensign? What makes her so special. You have to know something...."

Kat's face screwed up in some confusion and shook her head resolutely. "Shelly, I have no idea what you're talking about. Special? Ensign? I'd say if she was aboard this ship, it's already a foregone conclusion that she's one of the best..."

"Oh, stop!" Shelly said in a playful scolding voice. "How'd she get the Captain's ear? What is she doing that she is ordering me to book meetings with Lieutenant Boring and Pieri?"

Kat blinked. Ensign Flowers, it must be. "She's the Bridge Comm Officer, Shelly." Shrugging a little she began dressing. "Whatever it is merits meetings."

Looking Shelly straight in the eye, she didn't flinch. "Period."

"Oh, come on, Kat! Give me a hint! Anything! I'll not say a word! I promise." She made an imaginary cross over her heart.

Raising both her eyebrows, Kat looked at Shelly. "I have no idea."

"But the Captain tells you everything!" Shelly protested.

Kat tugged her sweater over her head before finishing her hair. "You know, Shelly, what he tells me is IN CONFIDENCE." She sighed audibly before tugging the brush through it.

"That means, I don't share it. Not with my room mate. Not in my sleep. Not to my teddy bear if I had one..."

"No one."

"You should have the Captain as your teddy bear," Shelly informed KAT. "Or at least pass him on to me...."

She shook her head. "This Ensign's still a mystery to me. I mean, why not go with Lieutenant Pieri. I hear she's fast and loose. She's also quite a bit better looking."

Kat laughed. "You know, Shelly, if you're that interested in the Captain's particulars, maybe you should ask him yourself." Yes, opening a can of worms, and yes, throwing her into the fray.... adding probably another slot in the Captain's schedule.

She had to make sure she had the correct vowel in her head before continuing. "You know far too much about the women on board. Anything in the realm of your Lieutenant Boring?"

Shelly was aghast. "Ask the Captain?! I couldn't do that! That's just not how it is done!"

She then rolled her eyes at Kat when she referred to Lieutenant Boring. "Anything? Like what? The man never has any sense of adventure."

"Not how it's done..." Kat almost clucked with some disappointment. Maybe pumping the Yeoman for more information was supposed to be better. But in her life, that was not how it was done. So, there was a conflict, right there.

"I don't know, Shelly. He obviously keeps you busy... no?"

"Sure. Do this, Yeoman Noonen. Do that, Yeoman Noonen. In thirteen months, you would think that he would call me by my first name. You got lucky. Captain chose you over me."

"Have you asked him to call you by your first name?" Kat asked pointedly. "And lucky or no, I'm not sure why the Captain chose me over you. But whatever made him do so... you'll have to ask him that as well."

How could Shelly even think that there was anything that they could share? That there was anything that even interested her about her speculations regarding the Captain and whatever he was doing with any of the females on the crew. She couldn't... wouldn't... think on it any further.

It was a duty, her duty. There would be many more, and that would be the end of it. Scheduling them. Making sure they were kept happy and that the Captain still had time to rest.

That was going to be... a challenge, but not one she was going to share with Shelly.

Shelly sighed and gave KAT a pout. "You're no fun today. It is like a vacuum came in and sucked out all the life out of you. Did you not get a good work out last night?"

"I'm never fun, Shelly," she said softly and tucked her hair back up into her severe bun. "And with our being thrown into a whole other part of the galaxy, it's been more than just a little stressful."

She purposely kept any other thoughts out of her head and concentrated on the actual workout. "It was just fine. Extra strenous to make sure I could get a solid night sleep."

Sighing she said, "Today is going to be a long day."

Shelly said seriously, "Every day is going to be a long day from now on. We're alone." She sighed. "We had all best take comfort in something or somewhere."

"You're right, Shelly. I'm sure you have plenty to choose from, and will find it in the best of places for yourself." Kat nodded slowly and sighed. "Long days. Long nights. And a lot of new responsibilities." She wasn't sure how happy she was about that either, but it wasn't about her happiness. It was about the ship, the Captain, and the crew.

"That's not funny, KAT. How can you be so nonchalant about it?"

"I'm being practical about it, Shelly. There's a difference." Plenty of men on board. Plenty to choose from. Shelly would find her way to the right man for her and she'd understand Kat's attitude.

"Yeah? So, who are you going to do or choose, if you're being so practical?"" A knowing grin slid across her face.

"I have no idea," Kat lied easily, her right hand throbbing as she flexed it. "I'm sure there are plenty to choose from, but no guarantees." Kat gave shelly a sideways glance.
"How about your choice?"

Shelly watched as Kat flexed her right hand. Was that an injury or something more?{/i] she wondered. "I have not thought about it much. Lieutenant Trumbell in Science is pretty hot."

"See?"Kat said simply. "There you go. Lots to choose from... and you've tgought of one already." Kat was ready and didn't want to coninue this conversation. She doubted that Shelly would understand about the Captain's needs or choices. One amongst a crowd was the best way to stay in the background... she knew her place, accepted it, and understood it. She wondered how any of the others would deal with such a thing. Or even Shelly if Trumbell was a dodge.

"Who do you think would pair up with the CMO or CEO?" Shelly asked, looking for any gossip.

"I truly have no idea," said Kat. "Maybe you," she said and winked. "I'm sure they have their eye on somebody... they're men." Stepping to the door she smiled back at her roommate. "Gotta go."

There was an air of finality to her. "Sleep well." Gossip had never been her strong suit. But she would be damned if she created or added to rumours.
No matter how true they might be.

Shelly watched as Kat left and gave her a wave goodbye. [i] One of these days I'm going to have to break into her personal files.

Tags

This JP was brought to you by the Horizon Tattler... because inquiring minds, like Shelly's... just want to know.
USS Legacy
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

KendleRJ

Postby KendleRJ » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:56 pm

Back in the meeting with Ensign Flowers...

"This," Talia said as she smoothed down the data stream, updated and stamped with a time that was only a few minutes prior. "See?"

It was a blip. Not a stellar or loud signal, but, as she let them look, she took out similarly positioned waveforms from prior times and the spike was steadily on the rise. It wasn't marked, but it was for the relatively short time span. It was quite clear that it was getting stronger through their proximity. But that wasn't her job to point that out to them. If they didn't see it, then there was very little point in continuing this meeting in quite the same way.

Tags Matthews and Perlit
USS Legacy

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:09 pm

And then in Gary's quarters while the meeting continues

PADD in hand, properly put together in a professional manner, Karina Alicia Tell moved with purpose towards the Captain's quarters. She would not dwell on what had happened the last time she was there…

One amongst the many. A face amidst the crowd. There would be many who would be where she was, and not only that, but she would know every one of them by name. They would appear in a box on his schedule, another request for another allotment of his precious and ever-dwindling time.

Taking a deep breath, she held it for as long as she could before exhaling slowly. She stood outside his quarters and depressed the door chime. Like she did every morning.

It wouldn't do to change their routine, and it wouldn't do to expect a single thing to be different with them. Closing her eyes, she placed a smile on her face and waited for the acknowledgement before entering.

Gary had woken up to his alarm but being exhausted from the previous night fell back asleep in his bed. The chime, however, woke him up. Since it was likely KAT, he had no concerns over professionalism.

Sitting up, making sure that his waist was covered, in case he was incorrect, he called, "Come in!"

The very picture of a Captain's Yeoman that hadn't wavered from the first day she took her place on the Bridge, she entered smartly, PADD across her front, right hand flexed once behind it and said smartly, "Good morning, Captain."

She let the door slide closed behind her before she noticed that he wasn't yet up. "Um..." she said, her eyes widening a little in surprise, "I can come back when you're up, Sir."

"Nonsense," Gary said happily. "Besides, there's nothing here that you have not seen before." He then got up and walked up to KAT naked and gave her a good morning kiss on the lips.
"Good to see you, KAT. Glad you got me up," he said with a little innuendo.

She was more than a little taken aback and raised an eyebrow at him. "Good to see you too... Gary." His name still wasn't an easy thing to say.

"I excel at doing my duty," she said and turned away, moving to his desk. "There are a few things we need to go over... so let me know when you're ready, ok?"

Gary told KAT, "That is not all you excel at," he told her with a smile. "What is it that you need to go over?" He motioned towards the bed and sat down on it.

Kat's cheeks flushed slightly, and she eyed the bed. She remembered it well and took a deep cleansing breath. It was easier imagining someone else there with him between then and now, and she sat gingerly on the edge.

Placing the PADD on her lap, she said simply, "Your schedule." It was a layout of the week to come, with many newly added names, and a great deal of requests pending. They needed his approval... and frankly, she needed his guidance.

Gary watched KAT with great interest. Why is she nervous? He put his hand on her lap as he moved next to her and leaned over to look at the PADD. He noticed time slots for Ci, Flowers, and Mary immediately.

"What is all of this, KAT?" he asked regarding all of the added names. "And where's our time together?" He looked at her, a wounded look on his face. "I don't see it."

"You need time to rest," she replied immediately. "And we meet every morning, like we're doing now." She didn't flinch from his hand but left it there.

"And 'all of this'," she said, running a finger over the schedule, "are new requests for regular meetings with you." Her green eyes took on a coolness, and acceptance, and she smiled easily. "I wasn't sure about frequency, but I'm sure you want them all to feel...equally attended to."

She turned her attention back to the PADD. "So, please, it's important that you get some time in for recuperation, as well as meeting with everyone." Her hand hovered, ready to make changes or confirmations.

Gary shook his head. "I cannot be with the entire ship at all times. If you want me to have time for rest and recuperation, I recommend that you personally supervise it," he told her with a smile that indicated that complete rest was not what he had in mind. "I did ask that you try and sneak us a night or two, too. Did I not?"

Kat nodded and saw a couple of spots where that could happen. "Personal supervision," she said and looked at the schedule. "Not sure if overnight would be... ideal." That was a cautious postulation.

"So, the others... daily? Weekly?" She kept her eyes resolutely on the PADD. She didn't want to seem eager, or jealous because she had no place to be either. "People are already talking, and I'm not sure how much of a reputation you want to maintain."

Gary thought about that proposition. "I already had a reputation. Not sure how much more talking can be done on that point." He took his other hand and lifted Kat's chin so she could meet his gaze. "What do you think? What must I do to maintain appearances?"

Kat smiled, a very small one, and it tugged the corner of her mouth. "Some of the meetings you have should actually have speaking, and action items and everything." Her eyes twinkled just a little and she let her lips widen into a full smile.

"People will talk, but it depends on how much you want to keep them guessing." She shrugged. "About a lot of things...."

Gary gave a warm smile to KAT, “As long as I can keep you safe, that is all that really matters to me,” he told her honestly. “And I would hope that all of my meetings have some speaking….” His eyes lit up and he squeezed Kat’s hand on her lap as he excitedly told KAT, “Speaking of which, Ensign Flowers thinks she found something. Obviously this is why the meeting was set up with the CEO and Science. There’s something out there. Clearly, we are not saying anything until there’s something to say but this is really promising.”

Kat shook her head slowly. “You have enough to worry about, Gary. I’m sure I can take care of myself.” She didn’t like that his priorities were less on an opinion and more on her own safety. She didn’t understand if this was something he said to every one of his conquests, or if it was unique to her, but either way, this was a trend that could compromise him in more ways than one. She concentrated on the feeling of his hand on her face and let her expression clear.

And his enthusiasm was quite obvious… “Something? Already?” She blinked a little in surprise and narrowed her eyes as she pondered. “Hm… that might be the very thing that could unite the crew.” She nodded, and placed her hand on his. “We’re the sole representatives of humanity in this part of the galaxy, and whatever this might be… well, we have to work together either way, don’t we?”

“KAT, you take care of me and I know you can take care of yourself just as I can. However, I will take care of you, too.”

He squeezed her hand again before getting back to the news. “It is promising. However, it seems to be a beacon. And like anything back in our old galaxy and perhaps even more so now, we need to welcome everything with open arms, express our friendship and yet, be very careful. We know nothing about where we are or who we are dealing with. We could run into a completely benevolent civilization or we could run into a despotic one. I won’t risk this crew’s lives unnecessarily. Flowers found the signal, so it is important that she discusses her findings with science and engineering so we can try and determine what it is saying from as safe a distance as possible.”

Gary glowed. “Follow me to the sonic shower. Obviously I am running a bit late and I don’t want to stop talking to you. I know you will have to talk over it but it can’t be helped.” With that, Gary practically dragged KAT by her hand towards the shower.

Kat nodded, more as an acknowledgement than as an understanding, and tried to process all of the information about the signal. Flowers. The name from Shelly. But it was more what she had found than her that had fired up the Captain. Although, it could be a bit of both and then her thoughts were cut short as he tugged her to her feet and she stumbled after him.

“O-oh ok…” she said and stood, a little bewildered as Gary turned on the shower. Intimacy she hadn’t shared in over a year.

Gary entered the sonic shower and turned it on. “Anyway,” he called over the noise of the shower, “I told Flowers that since she’s the only expert we have on communications that we need regular meetings. She has quite the impressive resume.”

“Of course,” Kat said. “I’ve scheduled one between you for later on this morning as a follow up, and what is ‘regular’ in her case, please?” Her voice was raised to be heard over the shower. “I think there’s already been speculation about how impressive she is above and beyond her resume. Frequency of meeting should either confirm or squash those speculations...”

Shelly had been wondering what her appeal was… well here it was. And Kat would have to remember the decisions made since she wasn’t about to bring the PADD in here with here. There was something rather… odd about that.

“Already?” Gary asked. He turned off the shower. “Oh, of course…Shelly,” he said with a smile. “She would speculate, wouldn’t she?” he asked with a laugh. “The frequency is going to depend on how often she needs to relay the findings as long as it is confidential. I would schedule at least thirty minute appointments, allowing for possibility of a half hour run over, in case she gets overly excited.”

“Or you do,” Kat said with a grin. “As you wish….”

Gary laughed. “You know me too well. I am a lucky Captain and man to have you, KAT. I wish it could be different….” His voice trailed off as he moved out and headed to his closet to get a uniform to get dressed. “Speaking of which, can we limit the training time with Ci? I know that I will have to maintain some but I would have rather been with you. It was tough last night.”

“What?” The surprise was more than evident on her face and whatever mask of professionalism slipped just a little. “I…” she turned and walked back to the PADD, still lying on the bed. “Training sessions,” she said with a raised voice as she located the reference. “I can limit those to one or twice a month, if you’d prefer.” She tried her best to stop the thudding of her heart in her chest, and the flush on her cheeks. That… no, that didn’t sound like him at all.

And she began making the amendments, more to keep her fingers and mind busy than to be an effective Yeoman. But she felt that whatever worked… well, that was what she was going to go with. How lucky might he feel if he could still surprise her. She hadn’t been aware of Gary ever speaking to anyone like this… ‘if things could be different’... decreasing his time… wishing he was with someone else… with her… Not something to consider or dwell on. There was a lot to consider on the Ship, and neither of them could do with such a distraction. Besides, she hadn’t added any other time for them yet. That could wait.

Better to have flexible time to populate than push out time that might become more precious than it had any right to be.

Gary heard the tone of surprise in KAT’s voice and asked her, “What’s surprising? I brought an Engineering manual to her quarters to ‘assist her with engineering concepts.’ But once or twice a month might be too little at this point,” he said musing the point. “I don’t want her to get the impression that I am avoiding her. Perhaps you can dovetail some time with whatever private meetings she requires.”

He sighed heavily as he finished putting on his uniform. “If only we had more time, KAT….” He shook his head sadly. “Such is duty….”

“Of course not,” Kat said knowingly, and made the adjustment. “Very important to help all you can wherever you can.” The mask was firmly back in place, the bemused expression all too clear. “Duty above all else,” she murmured and stepped to the door. “I’ll meet you on the Bridge, Sir,” she said, everything still in place. “I’ll send you the final schedule for your approval and we can move forward from there.”

That was easy, wasn’t it? Not too much tension, and a firm and solid understanding that there would be time enough in the days and months and weeks ahead. But that things would change… and time might become even shorter… or more crowded....

Ciara Mei

Postby Ciara Mei » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:10 pm

Looking at what was brought up, Ci now knew why the Captain had been called away the previous night. Her eyes went wide as she studied the image for a few moments. Her eyes then went up to look at them.

“Why wasn’t I notified of this? I’m in charge of science and should have been made aware!”

She looked back to the image again. “And getting stronger as well? We should have been told before this!”

Ciara was standing at this point. Realizing that, she slowly sat down. “Sorry. Don’t want to get on my bad side.”

Tags: Matthews, Flowers

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:31 pm

Return to “Current Mission Logs”