Taking Flight - Pre-Mission 1 First Day on Ship

Moderator:USS Legacy Host

Amanda Rose
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Re: Taking Flight - Pre-Mission 1 First Day on Ship

Postby Amanda Rose » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:19 pm

Postby Jake Sjet » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:48 am

Keth listened, and began to feel slightly chastised. Normally in this sort of social quandary such a feeling would have someone exhibit emotions such as embarrassment or even anger. Of course that would be in a normal social situation, between two baseline humans with recognised psychological reactions.

Keth was not human: he was seven feet of Huanni, the sort of being who still set off e flight and fight response in his co workers. So when he started to look at his feet, dragging one across the deck, the slight scratch of claw on deck plating hid the sniffle from easy hearing. He nodded in acquiescence, knelt down and picked up the files he had dropped. In all honesty he'd just been trying to fit in with the humans who, quite frankly, had a funny smell not that dissimilar I freshly cooked bacon. And yet every time he tried to fit in, to gauge the situation he was wandering into he screwed up.

He sniffed again, nodded and stood back up, his big green eyes nearly over flowing with tears.

"I'll go find out if the colours changed on our uniforms lieutenant Ma'am majesty." He snuffled in that toddler like fashion that spoke of great mental restraint at not balling ones eyes out, even throwing in the various honorific he had heard and read about whilst researching humanity "Now I have to go as I have something in my eye!"

Don't cry! Don't cry! Don't cry!

He then turned before words could be spoken to reprimand him for failing so utterly in his duties as a junior officer of the USS Legacy, and hurried down the corridor. And by hurried he ran, sniffling quietly to himself as he did so. He felt like a utter failure now, that feeling compounded by the fact he was utterly alone here in: no kin or clan to call his own, the familiar scents of home. He nearly burst into a storm of tears and wails when the memory of his mothers cooking came to mind...

Except mummy's cooking didn't smell like pancakes and syrup...tears instantly turned to drool as he passed by the open door to the mess hall, almost being led in there by his nose.

Tag mess hall folk. And I hope you feel proud for making Keth sing so wildly from the heights of a medic scorned to the depths of despair. :mrgreen:

Ensign Keth Soba
Medical
USS Legacy
Captain Cynthia Lynette Jackson - USS Legacy

Captain Gary Alexander - USS Horizon

Kolzak (Zak) Nikolaevich Volkov / Epsilon and Katie Marsh / Tara - Michigan Marvels

Tavlia K'Van (Heizz) - ASOG7

Amanda Rose
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Amanda Rose » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:19 pm

Postby dpwilliams2 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:16 pm

James looked over at the impromptu to toast. It was nice to see people enjoying themselves. Gathering his small meal, he stood and walked over.

"Mind if I take a seat?" He said.

"Of course not," said Nav looking at the Commander. It didn't look like he minded the additions. "Please, join us."

She walked up to his far side. "Or two?"

<Tag>

Nav laughed and nodded. "Not at all, plenty of room."

It was then that he noticed the same man that had been at the umbilical cord earlier. "Sir," He said, standing more stiffly.

TAG

She then noticed that the 3rd person there was definitely not an Ensign. In fact, it was Cmdr Wilson, whom she'd spoken to earlier when taking the PADD to the bridge. "Commander." She said as way of greeting as she nodded.

<tag>

"Of course Sir, I'm sure he's found new laces by now." James said almost laughing at the joke.

TAG

It was quite clear that they had met the Commander earlier; perhaps when he and the Captain were taking their measure of the ship. She politely waited until they had finished speaking and then said, "I'm Ensign Navkiran Khangura and I work in Engineering," by way of introduction.

"Ensign James Hatchet," James said. "Security."

TAG: Aislinn

James took a seat and placed his quaint meal and drink in front of him.

Tags Mess Folks

"No offense Commander," James said. "I'm sorry for how out of hand things seemed earlier."

TAG Phil

Except mummy's cooking didn't smell like pancakes and syrup...tears instantly turned to drool as he passed by the open door to the mess hall, almost being led in there by his nose.

Tag mess hall folk

James saw the large catlike creature enter the mess hall. "What species is that?" He asked the table while gesturing in the direction of Keth.

TAG Any, more so Phil.

Kolzak (Zak) Nikolaevich Volkov / Epsilon and Katie Marsh / Tara - Michigan Marvels

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:20 pm

Postby Amanda Rose » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:43 pm

James looked over at the impromptu to toast. It was nice to see people enjoying themselves. Gathering his small meal, he stood and walked over.

"Mind if I take a seat?" He said.

"Of course not," said Nav looking at the Commander. It didn't look like he minded the additions. "Please, join us."

She walked up to his far side. "Or two?"

<Tag>

It was then that he noticed the same man that had been at the umbilical cord earlier. "Sir," He said, standing more stiffly.

TAG

She then noticed that the 3rd person there was definitely not an Ensign. In fact, it was Cmdr Wilson, whom she'd spoken to earlier when taking the PADD to the bridge. "Commander." She said as way of greeting as she nodded.

<tag>

"Of course Sir, I'm sure he's found new laces by now." James said almost laughing at the joke.

TAG

It was quite clear that they had met the Commander earlier; perhaps when he and the Captain were taking their measure of the ship. She politely waited until they had finished speaking and then said, "I'm Ensign Navkiran Khangura and I work in Engineering," by way of introduction.

Tags Mess Folks

"No offense Commander," James said. "I'm sorry for how out of hand things seemed earlier."

TAG Phil

Tag mess hall folk

James saw the large catlike creature leave the mess hall. "What species is that?" He asked the table while gesturing in the direction of Keth.

A small woman of Chinese descent, perhaps five feet tall, wearing a blue shirt said, with an obvious lisp, "Tat, id a Uawni, you intentative tw*t!" (translation = That is a Huanni, you insensitive tw*t.) She angrily bumped against James' chair and rushed out into the corridor after Keth.

TAG Any, more so Phil.

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:21 pm

Postby Amanda Rose » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:47 pm

Jake Sjet wrote:
Keth listened, and began to feel slightly chastised. Normally in this sort of social quandary such a feeling would have someone exhibit emotions such as embarrassment or even anger. Of course that would be in a normal social situation, between two baseline humans with recognised psychological reactions.

Keth was not human: he was seven feet of Huanni, the sort of being who still set off e flight and fight response in his co workers. So when he started to look at his feet, dragging one across the deck, the slight scratch of claw on deck plating hid the sniffle from easy hearing. He nodded in acquiescence, knelt down and picked up the files he had dropped. In all honesty he'd just been trying to fit in with the humans who, quite frankly, had a funny smell not that dissimilar I freshly cooked bacon. And yet every time he tried to fit in, to gauge the situation he was wandering into he screwed up.

He sniffed again, nodded and stood back up, his big green eyes nearly over flowing with tears.

"I'll go find out if the colours changed on our uniforms lieutenant Ma'am majesty." He snuffled in that toddler like fashion that spoke of great mental restraint at not balling ones eyes out, even throwing in the various honorific he had heard and read about whilst researching humanity "Now I have to go as I have something in my eye!"

Don't cry! Don't cry! Don't cry!

He then turned before words could be spoken to reprimand him for failing so utterly in his duties as a junior officer of the USS Legacy, and hurried down the corridor. And by hurried he ran, sniffling quietly to himself as he did so. He felt like a utter failure now, that feeling compounded by the fact he was utterly alone here in: no kin or clan to call his own, the familiar scents of home. He nearly burst into a storm of tears and wails when the memory of his mother's cooking came to mind...

Tag mess hall folk. And I hope you feel proud for making Keth sing so wildly from the heights of a medic scorned to the depths of despair. :mrgreen:

Ensign Keth Soban
Medical
USS Legacy

The small Asian woman in the blue uniform approached the Huanni and softly asked "I towwy tat ooo eard tat. Meanies! Can I elp ooo?" (translation = I sorry that you heard that. Meanies! Can I help you?)

tag - Keth

Amanda Rose

Postby Foxy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:17 pm

“The more the merrier,” declared Phil. “I'd better budge up.”

It was then that James noticed the same man that had been at the umbilical cord earlier. "Sir," He said, standing more stiffly.

“At ease, Ensign. Attention and food don't go together.” Phil smiled. “How's your brother doing – sorted out his footwear issues?”

Phil waved at a spare seat at the adjacent table, “Care to join us?”

tag - James

Aislynn then noticed that the 3rd person there was definitely not an Ensign. In fact, it was Cmdr Wilson, whom she'd spoken to earlier when taking the PADD to the bridge. "Commander." She said as way of greeting as she nodded.

Phil raise his cup in greeting. “Norson, hello again. Do have a seat. There's still room for a few more.”

"No offence Commander," James said. "I'm sorry for how out of hand things seemed earlier."

“Don't worry, Hatchet,” Phil reassured him. “Actually, I thought you handled what could have been a diplomatic incident very neatly. Keep it up – well, preferably not getting into scrapes, but certainly getting out of them with minimal casualties.”

James saw the large catlike creature leave the mess hall. "What species is that?" He asked the table while gesturing in the direction of Keth.

A small woman of Chinese descent, perhaps five feet tall, wearing a blue shirt said, with an obvious lisp, "Tat, id a Uawni, you intentative tw*t!" (translation = That is a Huanni, you insensitive tw*t.) She angrily bumped against James' chair and rushed out into the corridor after Keth.

Phil realised he'd been gripping his cutlery a little too tightly and made an effort to relax.

“That, Ensign, is one of our medics – Mr Soban. And as the lady has observed, a Huanni. Just one of the many challenging new experiences that await you...”

He raised his cup, as if proposing a toast, “Here's to... Interesting Times.”

Amanda Rose

Postby Jake Sjet » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:12 pm

Foxy wrote:
“Here's to... Interesting Times.”

Its a little known law of the universe that Gods, the small sadistic ones that enjoy making peoples lives a misery, have very keen ears. In fact one of those Gods, the second cousin five times removed from the Great Mother Hu of the Huanni Celestial Transcendence of Higher Powers, went by the name of Kilix. Now KIllix is often depicted in Huanni folk lore as a mischievous trickster and focal point for minor calamities, a character often found in pictures and carvings hiding in the background.

Killix is a poor player of hide and seek, because his ears have tips that reach up four times the length of his body. Its every Huan's delight to tell their fellow sentient upon fateful uttering that: "One should not borrow trouble form Killix purse, regardless of how far from home you range." Apparently this minor demi god of myth had hearing good for four thousand light years and change.

Keth starred down at the small oddly deformed human being. She had the smell of a human, but her eyes were squished and slanted, and her voice was utterly slurred to the point of becoming its own language. Yes Keth might use a universal translator for most things, but he was taking a correspondence course to learn English naturally: and that wasn't even close to English, or ring-lish as she might say. He cocked his head to one side, his ears flicking to and fro in that feline way that suggests their triangulating on you like a missile homing for a target.

Deformities of the skull and ocular region.
Slurred speech that was clearly meant to be English.
And she had run after him from the mess hall, like a predator hunting down prey...

So logically he yelped and rabbit punched her. His furred fist clonked against her chin, forcing mandible against upper jaw with a clack. The considerable kinetic force that followed saw a wave of pressure ripple through brain fluid, bouncing the poorly housed gray matter just enough to cause it to short out and go unconscious. Keth reached out and caught her as she fell, soon holding her, the files, and his raging fears in check.

Okay Keth, he thought to himself, the key is to warn everyone and then quietly try not to panic.

+++

Back in the mess hall, just as Phill made his unfortunate toast, Keth stepped in carrying the unconscious Choa. He could be seen trying to talk, his words over ridden by the background chit chat of morning brunches and on what not. A fierce and slightly terrified leonine roar ended that, shaking a few decanters of OJ and allowing on Ensign in red to feel his fillings rattle about.

"Hi-er...everyone!" his hand, the one holding Chao's head waved a little, causing her head to flop back and forth in a ever so cadaverish fashion "I'm Keth, from medical unless anyone knows if they changed the colour, because my boss asked me to find that out because no one tells her anything. Though that might just be because she's lonely and feeling a little insecure about being in a new place that smells sort of funny."

Like me, Keth mentally chimed in before soldiering on.

"I just want to let everyone know that the brain eating parasite problem will be fixed promptly, and that if you feel a sudden need to run people down and eat their brains that that is not accepted behavior of Starfleet officers." he nodded at his wording, trying to recall everything he knew about the parasite from that documentary he had been told to watched at Starfleet Medical by some of his fellow students.

Dawn of the...er...something -something. Well, something like that anyway.

"Anyway..." he said, as the silence carried on "...I just wanted to let you all know that everything is okay!"

He then smiled and waved farewell, Choa's head again flopping to and fro in that fashion that might have people think the big fur ball had snapped, lost it, and decided that Soylent Green was making a come back. And then he left, but not before his tail snagged a bottle of maple syrup from a table.

TAG-...need I say more? Though note, just unconscious.

Keth Soban, Ensign
Medical
USS Legacy

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:22 pm

Postby KendleRJ » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:36 pm

Back in the mess hall, just as Phill made his unfortunate toast, Keth stepped in carrying the unconscious Choa. He could be seen trying to talk, his words over ridden by the background chit chat of morning brunches and on what not. A fierce and slightly terrified leonine roar ended that, shaking a few decanters of OJ and allowing on Ensign in red to feel his fillings rattle about.

"Hi-er...everyone!" his hand, the one holding Chao's head waved a little, causing her head to flop back and forth in a ever so cadaverish fashion "I'm Keth, from medical unless anyone knows if they changed the colour, because my boss asked me to find that out because no one tells her anything. Though that might just be because she's lonely and feeling a little insecure about being in a new place that smells sort of funny."

Nav turned like the rest and watched the Huanni she had met earlier, finally introduce himself. She might have been happy about it, had there not been a prone female officer clasped in his arms. She wasn't sure if standing was a good idea, but her body had other ideas and so, it did what it was going to do as she rose to her feet slowly.

He was babbling a bit, about his boss and colours, but she was transfixed by the woman he was holding. Did she just breathe? Was she breathing?

"I just want to let everyone know that the brain eating parasite problem will be fixed promptly, and that if you feel a sudden need to run people down and eat their brains that that is not accepted behavior of Starfleet officers." he nodded at his wording, trying to recall everything he knew about the parasite from that documentary he had been told to watched at Starfleet Medical by some of his fellow students.

Dawn of the...er...something -something. Well, something like that anyway.

"Anyway..." he said, as the silence carried on "...I just wanted to let you all know that everything is okay!"

He then smiled and waved farewell, Choa's head again flopping to and fro in that fashion that might have people think the big fur ball had snapped, lost it, and decided that Soylent Green was making a come back. And then he left, but not before his tail snagged a bottle of maple syrup from a table.

There were parasites? Brains, eating brains... why did that sound so familiar to her? She blinked, trying to feel logical as it flew like an elusive bird out the window of her mind. Everything was ok? How... how could it be ok? She blinked in surprise and reached for her belt, an empty hook mocking her where the spray bottle had sat. But they were in the Mess Hall weren't they? There had to be something equivalent...

She watched the maple syrup hit the floor, but she was already moving. Spray bottles, non-aerosol canisters, lined up along the back wall, not appropriate for breakfast... but they would have to do. "Chef," Nav called out, lifting a hand. "Toss me a couple of those, would you?" And the bottles came sailing through the air, slapping into her palms. She glanced down, noticing the labels which read, "Raspberry Vinaigrette".

How could she justify heading off Medical personnel to intervene in a medical situation armed only with salad dressing? Other than it was Keth, and it seemed likely that some misunderstanding was brewing. Maybe she could help if someone had a better idea...

Tags all around

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:22 pm

Postby Iar Edra » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:44 am

“The more the merrier,” declared Phil. “I'd better budge up.”

It was then that James noticed the same man that had been at the umbilical cord earlier. "Sir," He said, standing more stiffly.

“At ease, Ensign. Attention and food don't go together.” Phil smiled. “How's your brother doing – sorted out his footwear issues?”

Phil waved at a spare seat at the adjacent table, “Care to join us?”

tag - James

Aislynn then noticed that the 3rd person there was definitely not an Ensign. In fact, it was Cmdr Wilson, whom she'd spoken to earlier when taking the PADD to the bridge. "Commander." She said as way of greeting as she nodded.

Phil raise his cup in greeting. “Norson, hello again. Do have a seat. There's still room for a few more.”

Aislinn nodded to the Commander, and to the lady sitting with him. "Thank you, Sir," she said as she placed her food on the table, and took a seat.

"Ensign Aislinn Norson, Science. Pleased ta meet ya."

"No offence Commander," James said. "I'm sorry for how out of hand things seemed earlier."

“Don't worry, Hatchet,” Phil reassured him. “Actually, I thought you handled what could have been a diplomatic incident very neatly. Keep it up – well, preferably not getting into scrapes, but certainly getting out of them with minimal casualties.”

Phil realised he'd been gripping his cutlery a little too tightly and made an effort to relax.

“That, Ensign, is one of our medics – Mr Soban. And as the lady has observed, a Huanni. Just one of the many challenging new experiences that await you...”

He raised his cup, as if proposing a toast, “Here's to... Interesting Times.”

Aislinn raised her cup as well. "To interesting times..."

<tag>

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:23 pm

Postby dpwilliams2 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:35 am

There were parasites? Brains, eating brains... why did that sound so familiar to her? She blinked, trying to feel logical as it flew like an elusive bird out the window of her mind. Everything was ok? How... how could it be ok? She blinked in surprise and reached for her belt, an empty hook mocking her where the spray bottle had sat. But they were in the Mess Hall weren't they? There had to be something equivalent...

She watched the maple syrup hit the floor, but she was already moving. Spray bottles, non-aerosol canisters, lined up along the back wall, not appropriate for breakfast... but they would have to do. "Chef," Nav called out, lifting a hand. "Toss me a couple of those, would you?" And the bottles came sailing through the air, slapping into her palms. She glanced down, noticing the labels which read, "Raspberry Vinaigrette".

How could she justify heading off Medical personnel to intervene in a medical situation armed only with salad dressing? Other than it was Keth, and it seemed likely that some misunderstanding was brewing. Maybe she could help if someone had a better idea...

James audibly sighed. Damn it, this has just turned into a security issue. Something I'm suppose to take care of. He thought to himself and paused for a moment. How am I suppose to take down a giant cat thing... err Huanni.

Just then he saw the Ensign call out for something and go flying after the cat. "Pardon me," He said before rushing after. "At least one person from Security should be involved in the man-hunt, cat-hunt. He just hoped he wouldn't get in trouble for whatever was going down.

TAG: All

"Need some help?" He asked Ensign Khangura as he caught up to her.

TAG: Khangura

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:23 pm

Postby Foxy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:24 pm

Phil froze at the sound of the Huanni's roar and stayed in an effective fugue state for what was only in reality a couple of seconds, but which felt like a lifetime. Thankfully, Khangura and Hatchet swinging into action was enough to jerk him out of it.

"Hatchet," he called out after the security officer. "Call in when you know the situation."

tag - James

Phil stationed himself by the mess hall comms panel, while attracting the attention of the mess team to deal with the maple syrup spillage and reassuring the rest of the diners that no more excitement was on offer. No need for a fuss, he thought. It could be nothing. Of course, it could be a psychopathic crewman on a killing spree. Or it could just be a simple case of the woman fainting and Soban... well... He wasn't going to be able to keep pace with the Ensigns, so he would have to settle for waiting to find out and sending reinforcements if required.

And that hurt more than his leg.

Return to “Archives”