Taking Flight - Pre-Mission 1 First Day on Ship

Moderator:USS Legacy Host

Amanda Rose
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Taking Flight - Pre-Mission 1 First Day on Ship

Postby Amanda Rose » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:11 pm

Postby Amanda Rose » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:53 pm

Dinner Time, Captain's Quarters

Cindy was rather enthused about having the Legacy. She was even excited that some of the crew members were taking to her more informal style of captaincy. Of course, there were some issues and one happened on the very first day she was on the ship. She liked Ensign Osswell. He was a fine officer but she had to make it clear to him that there was informal and then across the line on the bridge. She decided that it would be best handled in private, so she sent a note via PADD to Luke to meet her in her quarters that evening for dinner.

After the ceremony was finished the same went for Luke's shift. He let Lieutenant Helm (how fitting for a Chief Helm officer) take over and went on to his quarters for a well-deserved shower. Feeling refreshed again he sat down on his bunk and noticed the PADD he had thrown there, the one containing his transfer orders. This darkened his mood again, but then it beeped. Frowning, Luke picked it up and read the message. Well, isn't this an interesting development.... He confirmed that he'd be there. Later that evening he found himself in front of her door. You're just an Ensign having dinner with his Captain. On your first day. It was entirely reasonable, right?

When the Captain's door rang, Cindy merely answered, "Come in," happily.

Once Luke entered, he could see that there was a table set up for two and some warming covers over some plates.

"Welcome, Luke," she told him with a warm smile. "Glad you could come."

Luke smiled back. "At your service, Cindy." He entered her quarters. It was so spacious and well decorated. She had exquisite taste, Luke decided. "Wow, you have made yourself a wonderful home here," he complimented.

"It is going to be home for the next five years. May as well be comfortable, right?" She beamed that he was comfortable calling her Cindy. "So, I have some dinner here. Care to sit?"

She beamed. He liked that she beamed. He liked a lot of things about her, he realized. Far away in the deepest corners of his mind a warning voice sounded: Don't do this again Luke! it yelled. "Don't mind if I do," Luke answered, and sat down.

"I hope that you do not mind chicken marsala with a side of linguini and a vegetable medley because that is what I made from the food synthesizer. I was never much of a cook at home but in space I think I am tolerable at punching buttons."

"Aren't we all excellent at pushing buttons these days..." Luke said. He looked at the food. "It looks delicious, I am honored." He then remembered the Italian wine he had brought with him. "I think this will compliment the food just nicely", he said as he poured the glasses.

"Luke!" she exclaimed, a bit shocked. "Where did you get this wine? And why are you using it tonight?"

Luke smiled. "From my dear aunt in northern Italy. Why tonight? To celebrate, obviously, today is the first day of the rest of my life, the first day of a new mission, a new starship. And I've never dined with the Captain before."

Cindy laughed at that. "Well, I hope it won't be the last time you dine with me but really, this was unnecessary."

"Well, Cindy, the bottle is uncorked and the glasses are poured. Might as well enjoy it." He raised his glass and looked at her. "To new beginnings."

Cindy raised her glass and said, "New Beginnings." She then drank some of the wine in response to the toast and took the tops off the warming platters.

Luke took in the smells. He tried a bite of the chicken. It tasted delicious, even if it was from a food synthesizer. As they ate their dinner, Luke wondered at the true purpose of the Captain asking him over for dinner. But he was sure that the Captain was waiting for an appropriate moment. He just hoped she wouldn't bring up the Caitian Ambassador.... He took a bite of linguini. A captain and a good cook. What were the odds?

Cindy delicately sliced some of her chicken and ate it. Seeing that Luke had said nothing, she decided to broach the subject of her invitation. "Luke, I wanted to talk to you about what happened on the bridge today."

Luke put down his fork and knife. There it was. He looked at her, deeply. Then: "I apologize, Cindy, I went too far. I know. But to be honest, you flirted first. On the Bridge, in front of everybody. Now there is a challenge I couldn't ignore. You blurred the line between a Captain and her crew. I merely re-established a new line. But the only way of doing so was by finding its limits. It seems I found them."

"I did not flirt, Luke. I'm really friendly. You will get used to it. I don't worry about that. I have been accused of this before. We work it out and we're always friends afterwards." She paused for a moment and then said, "You might be a great guy. I don't see why you wouldn't be. But on the bridge, well, thing have to be a little more professional. It is one thing to call me Cindy, which Phil hates, incidentally, but quite another to flirt on deck in our official capacities." She sighed. "Am I making sense? I feel like I'm not completely making sense."

Luke chuckled. "Yes, you do make sense. Don't worry about it. Now that I clearly know where the line is, I wouldn't dare crossing it." unless you give me reason to Luke's unconsciousness added. She was a cutie, after all.

"Oh good!" she said breathing a deep sigh of relief. "I mean, we cannot have people talking, right? I have to keep everyone's respect." She beamed at Lucas.

Luke beamed back. "How could people not respect you, with a sincere smile like that?" Luke complimented. He really meant it, there were many fake laughs and smiles in the universe, but hers was true.

"Well, there are some," she replied ominously. "But they are few and far between. Also, I wouldn't want the crew talking. That would make things uncomfortable for everyone." She ate a few more bites and beamed. "Thank you, Luke. I really appreciate you understanding and making this talk easy."
Captain Cynthia Lynette Jackson - USS Legacy

Captain Gary Alexander - USS Horizon

Kolzak (Zak) Nikolaevich Volkov / Epsilon and Katie Marsh / Tara - Michigan Marvels

Tavlia K'Van (Heizz) - ASOG7

Amanda Rose
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Taking Flight - Pre-Mission 1 First Day on Ship

Postby Amanda Rose » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:12 pm

Postby Foxy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:07 am

OOC - hit by the sudden realisation that if Phil covers night shift, no actual player characters will be awake to talk to him, so I'm taking that one back...

:wink:

Kolzak (Zak) Nikolaevich Volkov / Epsilon and Katie Marsh / Tara - Michigan Marvels

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:12 pm

Postby KendleRJ » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:54 am

** In the Mess **

It had been a full day, filled with possibilities, hope and more than a few surprises; never unwelcome, and always a challenge, graciously accepted. Navkiran Khangura, now off duty Engineer, had been more than a little challenged with the day's proceedings, but hopefully met them head on and well. She had lived through it, so that must be something at least. If today was any indication, this was going to be five years of discovery, both on the ship, and off of it. She had spent most of her shift calibrating and aligning relays, but she had still managed to repair a biomonitor, meet a new species, make a new friend (or hopefully that's what she had done), conceptualize something that could keep her busy for the next few days, and consider a project that might be a few months in the making. She had even managed to swing by the Bridge to sneak a peek at the viewscreen as they took off, her eyes alight with wonder a the beauty of space and the promises that it held. Now that was why she joined Starfleet.

But at the end of it all, she made her way to the Mess. After choosing the right combination, she finally had a hot cup of tea in front of her, and a small box tied with ribbon, curled at each end as befitted its contents, with small gilted lettering written on the upper left hand corner. B. Patisserie, San Francisco. The first was from the ship. The second, she had brought from her quarters.

Nav closed her eyes hands resting on the box, fingers testing the ribbon gently. Inhaling the masala chai, she let the memories flood her thoughts, a moment's peace aboard a ship moving through space. Her ship. It was slight, small, but there was a reassuring hum beneath the silence, as though Frankie himself was talking to her.

She smiled, her inner picture complete, finally exhaling. Nav opened her eyes to unwrap the box. Picking the ribbon open, despite the tightness of the knot, anything to preserve the delicate pale blue fabric that had been so lovingly wrapped around it, she slid it through and left it splayed on the table. It wasn't that she was so OCD that everything had to be just so, it was that this moment had to be savoured. It was her last taste of Earth, her last memory of her family, and she wanted to share it with the one she'd be sharing her five years with. Patting the table, she murmured, "Frankie, this is a kouign amann, and that patisserie in San Francisco is famous for them, even now." Popping open the lid, she let the smell of caramelized sugar and real butter waft out, mixing with the scent of her spiced tea. Leaning forward, she took a deeper breath, remembering, trying to keep the emotions at bay, but still allowing a small tear to gather in the corner of her eye. Her family wouldn't have been aboard anyway, but she still took the time to bid them farewell. Somehow the distance made it less painful to remember than had she still been back on Earth.

It was her moment; she was unaware of anything else, completely focused, as though this were a particularly difficult gadget that needed fixing. But she needed no tools for this job. She lifted the pastry out of the box and up to her mouth, taking the first, sweetened, flakey bite. It melted in her mouth, and she took a sip of tea. Placing the rest of the pastry back, she leaning into the chair and sighed softly. Swallowing, Nav let the flavours settle on her tongue and the warmth spread out from her tummy. "Well, Frankie," she lifted her cup to the air, ritual completed. "It's you and me."

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:13 pm

Postby Melissa Richards » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:10 pm

CMO's Office
USS Legacy 1800 hours.

Chief Medical Officer's log, supplemental. I've been on this ship a few hours now, and already I'm noticing several issues in the medical department that will need to be improved upon. I have no problem with flirting, but not on duty, and certainly not in the middle of sickbay. That's something that will have to be made clear.

Jill leaned back in her new office chair getting used to it as well as the rest of sickbay. She had placed on her desk a picture of her mother and brother, but beyond that, the place was still very spartan. There had been a few minor visits from crew, but so far no true serious medical needs. They were just out of orbit and on their way, so that was a good thing,

Vodden thought a moment then continued.

I've sent a message to my family. A five year mission is a big thing, and depending how distant this ship goes, I may not see them for quite some time. My mother has informed me plans are in the works for the beginning of the new business. Who knows? Maybe on the way back, I'll encounter one of the new 'Vodden' built space freighters in a few years. Sometimes I feel like I want to be more then what I am. That's why I came out here. I actually liked my job as CMO in charge of Alpha One. There's something to be said for luxury suites and top of the line lab equipment when you're making new drugs and toys for the Federation.

Since the attack on Vulcan and it's destruction, there was a new urgency to be ready for whatever is out there. I wasn't a part of that incident, other then, my father who died on the Kelvin so many years ago. But, it never goes away and always sticks with you.

She paused again looking at the words as they had formed on the screen.

Prejudices run high, and there's bound to be a lot of that as we encounter new races. Those that do not look like us, or act human. There has been an attitude for some time even with the meeting and advent of new races that sometimes the leading roles of the Federation feels like a homo-sapiens club. The attitude to compare everything in human terms is not an easy thing to escape when it's all you know.

I myself having only limited contact with alien species except for the Tellarites whom I find rude and arrogant, must learn to overcome and accept these shortcomings. My own staff now has non-humans where before, I had only humans who were the best minds from Earth working for me. I am still getting used to the idea that I'm going to have to accept lower standards. Not that I'm any smarter then anyone else, but that everyone has their walk in life where they came from, and their experiences will be different. I've been living the last year in what's the equivalent of a glass jar. Playing chess and crossing mental swords with the end all and be all.

Vodden glanced out her small window at her staff working.

I also will have to overcome my desire to compare everything I see to research and improvement. Opening up more, particularly with this crew will be a challenge. Another reason I believe I took this assignment. I've been going over the bios of those I will no doubt encounter. The captain seems...frivolous. The XO...more stable. And my own medical staff, they feel like they're more interested in what's going on personally then the welfare of the patients. But, I have no right to judge. We haven't truly encountered mass patients yet, and under fire, the best can emerge. I saw it on the Wasp, and I'm sure I will see it here as well.

The words across the screen might upset some. That was the beauty of personal logs, you could vent and also show to a future reader what really went on. The ones that made history and were the victors were invariably the ones that would write it.

No major incidents to report other then improving discipline. The rest I'm sure will come into play over time.

Log ended...

Vodden picked up her small bag and checked to see where her quarters was, then headed out...

Tags or not...

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:13 pm

Postby anthony.snyder » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:05 pm

It has got to be around here somewhere... Elliot was still, well, lost. The attempt to abscond from the Captain turned into Elliot looking foolish. He'd have to do some studying if he wanted to make it anywhere career wise. Five years was a long time, he was hoping to have it to a science by then; know it like the back of his hand.

All this movement had loosened the straps on his duffel; pulling the strap fixed that problem. I have to be getting close! And he was right, there it was, "Sick Bay" cleaning printed next to the door. Okay, a better first impression this time. Elliot straightened his tunic, sleeves, and made sure his laces were tight. He still couldn't believe he had said laces, He shook his head in disbelief. Oh well.

Vodden picked up her small bag and checked to see where her quarters was, then headed out...

Elliot walked up to the door, it swooshed open and he collided with another blue shirt that was leaving, bags and personal effects flying.

"Oh, excuse me! I"m so sorry!" Elliot quickly made to help the woman he'd bumped into, "Let me help you with that."

Tag CMO!

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:14 pm

Postby Foxy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:19 pm

And breathe.

After all the kerfuffle of the ceremony, checking out all the major locations on board, meeting what felt like at least half of the crew, Phil needed a sit down. Preferably with a cuppa.

He made his way to the Mess, wondering what the quality of tea would be like. He had sampled quite a cross-section throughout his career, from a lovely spot of Asaam through to something that might have shared a building with tea but was altogether more likely to have been vacuumed off of the floor than picked from a bush...

Watching the chef prepare, Phi started to feel reassured. There was a pot. That was always a good sign. And a tea-strainer. Not often you saw one of those on a starship. A full selection of accompaniments and sweetening options, oh yes – this guy knew his stuff. Maybe five years would pass quite nicely.

He carried his tray over to an available table and started laying out his items. While it was still brewing, his nose became aware of an enticing scent from a neighbouring table inhabited by Ensign Khangura.

Was that butter? Real butter he could smell?

Tag - Nav

Amanda Rose

Postby KendleRJ » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:41 pm

Nav heard someone sit down close by, and looking over her shoulder, she was about to say something off the cuff and a bit casual. She was off duty after all. But her eyes widened when she saw the XO, and she straightened up in her chair and smiled. It wasn't something she expected to see, especially their first night out, but she'd have to get used to running into the command staff anywhere on board.

"Commander," she said, and shifted her chair over, reorganizing her spread out remnants closer to her on the table. "Care to join me?"

Tag Commander & anyone else who might be Messing around

Amanda Rose

Postby Melissa Richards » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Lt. Cmdr Jill Vodden
CMO
Corridor leaving sickbay

It has got to be around here somewhere... Elliot was still, well, lost. The attempt to abscond from the Captain turned into Elliot looking foolish. He'd have to do some studying if he wanted to make it anywhere career wise. Five years was a long time, he was hoping to have it to a science by then; know it like the back of his hand.

All this movement had loosened the straps on his duffel; pulling the strap fixed that problem. I have to be getting close! And he was right, there it was, "Sick Bay" cleaning printed next to the door. Okay, a better first impression this time. Elliot straightened his tunic, sleeves, and made sure his laces were tight. He still couldn't believe he had said laces, He shook his head in disbelief. Oh well.

Elliot walked up to the door, it swooshed open and he collided with another blue shirt that was leaving, bags and personal effects flying.

"Oh, excuse me! I"m so sorry!" Elliot quickly made to help the woman he'd bumped into, "Let me help you with that."

----

Vodden was on the floor and looking up at this brash young man who had just knocked her down. She extended her hand and let him help her up looking at him a moment before she spoke. "Next time please be a little more careful." She picked up her bag then seeing where he was going continued. "If you're heading to sickbay which it seems you are, the staff is currently still organizing things. However, if I can help you Ensign please let me know. I'm Lt Cmdr Vodden, the new CMO."

Tag Elliot

Amanda Rose

Postby dpwilliams2 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:37 pm

James had had an eventful day. He'd meet the command staff, albeit not the way he wanted; He'd stopped by his quarters to drop off his personal belongings; then he checked in with the department head and listened to a small speech.

It seemed that security duty onboard a Federation ship wasn't as appealing as it had sounded at first. A lot of their job was responsive and that meant that during a normal day it was mostly just walking around and being ready for anything. It could be worse, he could have gotten the brig assignment and be stuck to sit there. But it did look like most of the action would happen on away missions to brave new worlds, but those would probably get assigned to the more senior security staff. It wasn't all bad he assumed, he could have been stuck on 2nd or 3rd shift but instead was on 1st, or prime, shift. It meant he'd have somewhat 'normal' working hours and sleep schedule.

So here he was now, winding down from his first day. His hopes were to get a meal before heading back to his quarters and using the computer there to look up what he could do in his downtime.

TAG: Messhall

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:15 pm

Postby KendleRJ » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:29 pm

** Messhall **

"Thank you, yes," Phil accepted the offer gladly. Much nicer to be drinking in company. "May I ask - what tea have you there? It smells gorgeous."

"Very good, Sir," Nav acknowledged, glad of the company herself. "And it's Indian Chai Masala, I believe Chef has a few extra packages if you ever feel like trying something a bit more exotic."

"Exploring new recipes..." Phil mused. "Yes, I think that will be one of my key mission objectives."

He took a sip of his own tea.

"How about you, Ensign, anything you want to achieve on this voyage?"

Nav twisted her lip up and thought for a moment. "I'd like to keep Frankie running well, and make sure that everyone aboard doesn't even notice that I'm doing my job," she said quietly. "And see the stars." She nodded. "One way or another."

"Frankie?" Phil queried.

Nav blushed slightly. "The Legacy, Sir." To stop her from saying anything else, she took a small bite of her pastry, and then sipped her tea.

"Ahhh, Frankenstein," Phil realised. "Yes - very apt. I had heard somewhere they were thinking of naming us the Mongrel class. I think I like yours better. More literary."
He topped up his pot with some more water, then set it aside to brew.

"So is Frankie behaving so far?"

Nav tilted her head slightly, listening for that low pulsing hum. It was background noise, but for her, it was his heartbeat. "He has been, Sir. Despite a few bumps today. He'll serve us very well indeed."

The only male ship in Starfleet.

Phil smiled. The idea of ascribing gender to a ship had always amused him, especially when the allegedly female ship had a blatantly male name like the Sir Winston Churchill.

"I'm glad to hear it." He refilled his cup and raised it in toast. "Long may he do so."

"To Frankie, Sir," Nav said, raising her own cup, tapping it against the Commander's gently. "Here's to him bringing us there, and back again."

~Tag all you Messy people!

And thank you Foxy for the JP :)
Brought to you by Nav, your friendly Engineering Ensign and Phil, our most excellent XO

Return to “Archives”