Mission 3, Day 1

Moderator:USS Legacy Host

Amanda Rose
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Re: Mission 3, Day 1

Postby Amanda Rose » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:30 pm

Captain Cynthia Lynette Jackson - USS Legacy

Captain Gary Alexander - USS Horizon

Kolzak (Zak) Nikolaevich Volkov / Epsilon and Katie Marsh / Tara - Michigan Marvels

Tavlia K'Van (Heizz) - ASOG7

lucasausems
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby lucasausems » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:57 am

Day 1 - Evening

How long had she sat at her desk, chin resting in her palms, with an increasing pile of PADDS stacking up in front of her? What was going through Nav Khangura’s mind? Was it Whitney? Her career? Luke Oswell? Or was it simply a combination of all of them which had her perplexed, focused inward… almost lost.

She had a lot to consider, a lot to mull over. And although it was nice for someone to like her aboard Frankie, it wasn’t her priority. She was here to do a job, and for as long as she had it, until her boss took it away from her, with her help, of course, then she would have more time for other things. Things. People. Friends…

She wiped her face with her hands and sighed deeply, her elbows sliding along the desktop and sending a batch of PADDS skittering off the edge and sliding across the floor. And for the first time, Nav didn’t care. As the Assistant Chief of Engineering, she got to clock out. They had her frequency… and she needed a break. Her feet began walking and Nav found herself standing outside of a door she’d seen this side of more than once. She blushed, realising that it was Ensign Osswell’s quarters, but too, she had felt he needed a what? An explanation? Something else entirely?

She would stop all of this nonsense before it even began, and before she could let her better judgement intervene, she’d depressed the chime on his door.

It had been a long day on the Bridge today. Calibrations, reports, analyses, numbers, calculations, spreadsheets, endless rows of data. Luke had almost forgotten what a normal day at helm felt like. Because what is a pilot to do when the ship is on auto-pilot, in friendly and well known territory, where every speck of space dust has been charted and accounted for in every space chart? What was left for a pilot then? Administrative responsibilities, that’s what was left. He had administrative duty hours scheduled into his roster on a standard basis, but Luke thought he might as well do them now, with all quiet ahead and not too much fuss going on on the Bridge. He might earn himself some extra free time the next day.

So, content with having, in essence, combined 2 shifts into one, making this into one super productive day, Luke was tired as f**k now, and was in desperate need of some R&R.

His bunkmate had the night shift, so he had the room to himself for the next 8 hours. He didn’t mind bunking up so much, but his short tenure as a Lieutenant Junior Grade before the Legacy had made him miss the luxury of having his quarters all to himself. So now, that he was alone, he made the most of it. He had changed into his comfy clothes, replicated a bag of potato chips and a bottle of Thumsup (the Indian coca cola, far better than its American parent). Lounging in his couch, he was about to play the ancient movie of Star Wars the Force Awakens, when the door chimed.

Silently cursing to himself he ‘unlounged’ himself and walked to the door. When it slid open, revealing the graceful form of Nav, Luke was quite dumbfounded, and barely managed a stammering ‘uh...hhmhh’.., as a way of greeting.

Nav looked as surprised as Luke did when he opened the door. He wasn’t in uniform, and she was still dishevelled and hadn’t even managed to get to her quarters before barging in on him. “Hi,” she said. Short and sweet. “You… uh… you look busy. I’ll let you get back to your… whatever it was you were doing, and we can talk another time.” Perhaps by that time, she wouldn’t have to. Maybe by that time the court martial would have been announced and she would be spared the need to say goodbye to anyone aboard.

Besides, her determination had dried up just as quickly as it had flared and she realised it was a poorly executed plan. She should… she should go.

She should definitely not go. A thousand thoughts flashed through Luke’s mind. Why was she here? Had she stood in front of this door before? Did this have anything to do with what had happened in the mess hall this morning? He had thought about going to see her tonight, maybe after the movie. But he had never expected her to appear here in front of his very doorstep… What did this mean? Did it mean anything at all? Was he mad? He felt like some teenage boy suddenly standing face to face with his crush, he felt his cheeks and ears reddening more and more with every nano second. As she was starting to leave, Luke felt this chance slipping away from him.

Before he knew it, he reached out and took Nav’s hand. Her hand felt soft, delicate, warm, unleashing an entire new surge of emotions, feelings and heart beats that he was sure the ship’s internal sensors would pick up and report as an anomaly to the tactical console on the Legacy’s Bridge.

But he had hold of her now, and everything else didn’t matter anymore. “I...I have time..” He stammered. A toothy awkward grin that was supposed to be a warm smile formed on his face.

Nav wasn’t sure what had happened. She had turned to go, but something had stopped her. It felt like a jolt that travelled up her arm and her eyes widened in surprise. She had turned back to him, and suddenly felt what it was… he had her by the hand, and she had hoped he didn’t notice the trembling in it as her face flushed, and two warm circles appeared on her cheeks.

“Oh.” She hadn’t expected this turn of events. She was simply going to tell him that it was impossible, and that he should.. like someone else. She bit the inside of her lip and thought how silly that sounded in her head. “I… uh…”

Looking past him into his quarters, she could see that he was getting ready for something. She was intruding.. but he wasn’t letting go. “Ok.”

Amazing command of the English language, she thought to herself wryly and wasn’t sure if she should reclaim her hand, leave it there… squeeze his… or pretend that she didn’t notice the contact that was still making her tremble with it. She went with the latter because she was Nav. And she had no idea what might come next.

Neither had Luke. But here they were now, and something was about to happen, that was for certain. It felt like they were standing on a cliff, peering into the depths, the slightest puff of wind might hurl them right off, and who knew where they’d land then. Or crash… Or sprout wings…

It took a moment before Luke realised they were standing in the middle of the corridor, holding hands, shooting pheromones at each other. Time stood still, they were in their own little universe now, their own private subspace anomaly. Bet those interior sensors were sounding all kinds of alarm bells up at the Bridge.

He lightly squeezed her hands, both in an attempt to bring him out of this daze and to reassure her everything was alright. Even dazed it was hard not to notice her trembling. It told him enough.

“Why don’t you come in?” Luke offered.

He hadn’t let go, instead he’d made a show of knowing exactly what he was doing. And Nav, embarrassed, unbelievably shy and self-conscious, and about the colour of a red dwarf in its last lingering stages, could do nothing but nod dumbly and let him lead her forward. She had tried to run, tried even to make quick work of a conversation she’d played in her mind for the last 18 hours… at least. Straight, even.

She wanted to thank him, even tried mouthing the words, but they wouldn’t come out. She couldn’t even swallow to wet her mouth and blinked several times as if to check on reality. No. She was still there. And her heart, now beating a mile a minute pounded in her chest, found a harmony in her head and she changed her focus, looked away from him so Ensign Luke Osswell wouldn’t notice the bright colouring of her face. But it was too late; she’d already made a fool of herself. Without a train of thought in her head, and without an idea what she might say… or if he’d be willing to listen to her ravings anyway. An invitation in was a nice place to start. Even if it DID make her even more nervous than ever.

Now a wave of doubt surged through his brain. What now? He had invited her in. She hadn’t declined, but not exactly accepted either, she seemed content to be led, for the moment, which Luke took as a good sign. Nav wasn’t the spontaneous type, at least not in these cases. Or was she? She had after all come to him, and not the other way around. He felt an odd mix of harmony and apprehension within her. Like him, she also didn’t know what was going to happen.. Luke decided to not pressure her too much, her being in his quarters was probably already far beyond what she had ever imagined herself doing. And that precipice gave no clue as to what kind of drop they would make, if they would fall at all…

He slowly led her in. The door closed behind them, inside the room it was dark, a small bedside lamp provided the only illumination. The sudden darkness kind of surprised Luke, and undoubtedly Nav as well. For the shortest of moments, Luke inched closer to Nav, but stopped almost immediately, weary of that cliff they were staring down from. Instead, he showed her to the couch, gestured she could sit down, if she wanted to. He then let go of her hand, a sudden cold where earlier her hand had been in his palm. “One more Thumsup”, he ordered the replicator.

Nav felt almost lost without a hand to guide or steady her. But she immediately kicked herself. Nothing to rely on, no one… and she looked at Luke’s back as he stood by the replicator, she sat down, perching on the edge of the couch. “Ensign,” she said, her voice soft and far too quiet. Clearing her throat, she tried it again.

“Ensign,” she said, trying to formalise the meeting, despite her informal feelings, and the deep colour in her face. She had to clasp her hands together in front of her, squeezing them as she tried to stop their motion. It was as though she were cold, but it was a relief to be in darkness after the stark bright of the corridor. It might be easier for what she was about to say.

“I…” well, that was a good start. Now, keep going, Nav… “I think it would be best if we…” she swallowed, suddenly self-conscious with the word. Clearing her throat to cover her pause, she continued. “If we..” Standing up, she was at a loss and knew that no matter what she said, she would be embarrassed. “Friends,” she managed to choke out, not a single impression of belief in her words. “We remain friends.”

Looking down at her feet, she didn’t know what else to say. But it came out anyway. “I’m leaving the Legacy.”

e stood there holding out the bottle of Thumsup, waiting for her to take it, when she dropped the bomb. The tingling feeling in his stomach was at once replaced by a very uncomfortable knot that twisted his insides around. For a moment he didn’t know what to do, and just stood there. Slowly, the words sank in. Leaving. She was leaving. Why? Did he dare ask why? Was that even his place to ask? Was it because of him? Had he been too close with her? The knot increased in size. He had to say something, give some sort of reply. Some sort of acknowledgement.

“Are you leaving now?” He asked, slowly, trying to keep the sadness out of his voice, still holding the drink out before him, waiting for her to take it.

It was her shame speaking. She didn’t even look up. “No, not now.” There was a heaviness in her voice and she kept it low, and even. If she had done anything differently, she might burst into tears, and that would never do. Not at all.

A small silver lining accompanied by a slow sigh of relief escaped Luke’s lips. “Then let’s sit…” he again offered. If she really was to leave, they might at least try to enjoy this one moment, Luke thought. But the idea of this moment being the only one was almost as unbearable as having none at all… Luke sat down too. His expression was one big question mark as he looked into Nav’s beautiful brown eyes, but he patiently waited for her to give an explanation.

“I would say after the Court Martial.”

It was an offhanded remark, as though everyone was aware of her shame. She hadn’t needed to share this with anyone aboard, but with Luke? She felt… Taking a deep breath, she redirected that thought. She felt she owed him an explanation before losing everything and heading somewhere else in shame.

It took everything she had, but she looked up and noticed Luke’s hand. “Thank you,” she said shyly, and sat back down on the couch, heavily, as though a burden, though lifted, still weighed on her.

Luke’s questioning face turned into a confused frown. “A court martial?” He could picture her doing anything wrong, much less something so serious that would warrant a court martial... “What court martial?” Was this her way of escaping? Inventing illusions so as not to have to deal with an uncomfortable reality? But that didn’t sound like Nav at all, she was insecure, yes, but still, he rejected that assumption because it sounded too absurd. There must have been some mistake somewhere. Luke simply couldn’t believe it, otherwise. Still, despite the millions of questions he had in his mind, he waited patiently for her to tell her story, and sat down next to her on the couch.

Nav took a small shuddering breath and let it out slowly, taking a sip of the drink. It would have been better if it had a kick to it, but this conversation might be better sober. “Lieutenant Whitney.” She said it as though that explained everything. “I struck him during the Orion incident.”

Her fingers tightened on the bottle, as though she might wish to choke it in lieu of the man. “So, that’s… I…” Her shoulders slumped further and she closed her eyes, not wanting to even acknowledge that she was sharing her shame. “You should distance yourself as much as you can from me.”

She sighed briefly. “For the sake of your career.” Because mine is shot, she thought wryly.

He just stared at her for a moment, but then his eyes twinkled and a grin spread across his face. “You struck Lt. Whitney?” He couldn’t suppress a hearty laugh. After the seriousness and heaviness of the past 5 minutes that hearty laugh felt like the best thing ever. “Wow…” That was seriously the most awesome news he had heard today, although he wouldn’t say that out loud at this moment. He had never liked the Chief Engineer, too cocky, but he was also happily surprised to hear that Nav could pack a punch. That still left the serious business of this court martial, but Luke had picked up on another detail, and he smiled once more. He felt elated and fought to keep down his elation. Luke was already convinced there would never be a court martial and that Nav would therefore have no reason whatsoever to be afraid of leaving the Legacy. And, no less important, she had, most likely unintentionally, admitted to remaining just friends because she was afraid she would leave. But there was more left unspoken than that, and it filled Luke with a lot of joy.

His laughing fit over, he saw the look of surprise and confusion in her face. He heaved a deep sigh. He leaned slightly towards her, and again took her hand. “My dearest Nav, you struck him during the Orion incident, when we were all under the influence of those pheromones. You weren’t yourself, neither was Whitney, none of us were…. Though I am pretty sure the guy had it coming. The Captain will see this too, and do away with any court martial business.” He paused to take a breath. Before she could interject, he continued: “You see, no court martial, no leaving the Legacy… We will both still be here, serving on board the Legacy...together…”

Her voice got very quiet and she shook her head once. “You weren’t there, Luke,” Nav almost whispered. “The Chief was adamant. He is determined to have me off this ship.” She gave him a self-conscious smile and shrugged, curling into herself. “I gave him the excuse he needed; you didn’t see his face.”

There was a solid stone sitting in her gut and she was grateful for Luke’s hand, but didn’t feel she deserved it. Or the dismissive way he was referring to the end of her career. Yes, it was the court martial, and he seemed convinced that she wouldn’t be going anywhere. But not according to The Chief of Engineering.

She leaned forward, placing the half finished bottle on the table. “Thank you,” she said again and moved to leave. What more was there to say if all he was going to do was laugh about the one pivotal incident that was about to define the balance of her career. All 4 months of it, most of which would be used up awaiting trial.

“I appreciate your opinion, but…” steps were going to be taken. Her life was about to change, and it would be irresponsible to drag anyone down with her. She squeezed his hand and smiled, leaning forward to kiss his cheek before she could stop herself. “Wanting something is not going to make it so.”

His cheeks were burning where she had kissed him. He hadn’t expected that, never dared would have… He understood her position. How daunting it must seem to her. Whitney was her direct superior andshe saw only that, an angry and vengeful commanding officer. But there was also something as abusing one’s authority for personal gain, and Luke had a strong feeling that this was the case here…

She was still sitting next to him, still holding his hand. She could have stood up and left after the kiss, but she was still here. He looked at her. Taking it all in. Her lovely eyes, the shape of her eyebrows, her long flowing hair and the many other delicate features that made Nav, Nav.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have burst out like that, that was inconsiderate… It is noble of you to not want to drag anyone down with you, but…” he looked down and paused before looking up again. “I don’t care. If I choose to stand by your side, then that is my choice, and I see no reason why I should not help you get through this.” He held her hands tighter. “I can’t force you to let me help and stand by you, but you do not have to do this alone.”

And before he knew it he leaned forward and kissed her.

Nav’s mind was racing a mile a minute. She looked at Luke and was about to open her mouth to protest, to remind him of the trouble she was in, the fact that she could, she should walk away, let this whole thing lie, and she had reached that place, that centre of her being when peace was all she felt, but then it had run away from her.

Before she could act, react, stand, say something or anything else, she felt a warmth… he was so close and it was his lips. Part of her mentally processed that before it went tripping out the door.. It wasn’t planned, and it felt a little awkward. She flushed a deep red, and was sure he would regret that last action, kissing a criminal… but for that moment, that shared moment, everything was suspended. She breathed in and let the feeling move through her, and although she would have denied it, or not even recognised it, she did indeed kiss him back.

It was grateful, appreciative, and no less a release of something that had been building but had not just been denied, but completely ignored. She was in unknown territory, something she had expected in her chosen career, but never expected in her personal life. If she had training to go into dangerous situations on unexplored planets, this should be a piece of cake. But however her logical engineering brain tried to break it down, it came to the same conclusion.

There was no logic here. And for the first time in Nav’s life, she didn’t seem to care. And she didn’t know if that was good or not, but when she pulled back, she looked at Luke, looked into his face and smiled. “Thank you,” she said. For the kiss? For the sentiment? For his support? It didn’t matter. Because after that moment, she returned his kiss with one of her own, which was considerably less impulsive, and not quite as awkward.

This long long long awaited JP has been brought to you by:

Nav and Luke, lovebirds in the making ;-)
(and about damn time)

Luke Helios (Soggies)
Gil Lukat (SB 42)

Iar Edra

Postby Iar Edra » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:33 pm

Varina took the Commander's silence to mean there was nothing to worry about. Either that or he'd fill her in more later, perhaps when Keth wasn't there, since she presumed some kind of relationship from the comment made. So she entered the lift and stood against the wall as the others followed. She tried to keep her eyes to herself but she caught a glimpse of the young Captain looking at her, and gone was the almost sickeningly sweet smile. In its place, for a brief moment, was a scowl that appeared to be aimed at her. That was more like it, she thought. That was the treatment she'd been waiting for. Behind the fake smiles were the same attitudes she'd gotten used to in Starfleet. It didn't appear that this appointment would be any different. Judgements would be made without all the information. At least, as CMO she would be in charge of her own schedule, and not at the mercy of some bureaucratic pet intent on making up for the sentence he was sure she deserved. But clearly, she'd have to keep her guard up here. She was certain she wouldn't get any second chances if this didn't work out.
She didn't hold the Captain's gaze any more than she needed to. She couldn't wait to be able to break away and just get to her own office.
Dr. Varina Hightower--CMO--USS Legacy

Sjet

Postby Sjet » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:08 pm

"You can't go to the mess hall!" Keth said, an arm shooting out to block the exit with a barricade of fur and claw. He smiled in his self-assured 'disarming' manner, which everyone took to mean he could bite arms off with it, and tried to school his voice back to its normal friendly timbre. Right now he sounded panicky, and a panicky Keth was liable to start pushing buttons. Button's like light switches, door controls, and escape pod release mechanisms.

At least the last time he had done no one had been inside the pod, unlike the last three times before that.

He gently pulled his hand back to his side, the claw tips sticking just a little in the now pitted metal.

"I...mean you...er...you couldn't possibly go to the mess hall for your first drink, your welcoming toast! There are so many other ways it could be done better than...er...there." Keth said, masterfully hiding the fact the mess hall was being repaired after the Hamburger Invasion of 2231. But where to send the CMO to? Huum...

Light.
Bulb.

"OH! You could go to Commander Phils quarters! I'm sure he has libations he could ply you with there! And look, he's nearly legless now he's missing an arm so you know he knows a thing or two about drinks because of that!" Keth said, feeling very pleased he was helping bring people closer together as colleagues and comrades. Keth had another filament bulb moment: "I...I could bring my photo albums."

Keth's eyes grew larger than they really should have been able to. He could show off his 'Cultural Integration Photonic Recollection Survey', and whilst the crew of the Legacy were not the intended audience he was sure they would love it! Six hundred and fifty albums, comprising seventy terabytes of highly compressed low-resolution holograms, stretching across subjects of interest to the Huanni people.

Art.
History.
Culture (Both art and yougert((NOT Fro-gert, which wasn't ice cream and was thus pointless)).
The horrifically well document sexual mating habits of the homo Sapien.
Cusine.
And, of course, the cultural significance of the Federations adorations of cats and other feline species.

"I WILL BRING MY PHOTO ALBUMS!" he exclaimed, before leaving fast enough that the CMO had yet to arrive.

TAG-All. Keth is the Rambo version of cupid, not all there and full automatic.

Ensign Keth Soban
Insecurity
USS Legacy
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X X

"I will eat your soul :3"

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:24 pm

Kolzak (Zak) Nikolaevich Volkov / Epsilon and Katie Marsh / Tara - Michigan Marvels

Cmdr Phil

Postby Cmdr Phil » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:03 pm

Varina leaned in to him a bit closer as they moved toward the lift and asked quietly. "Should I know about this Vivyra person?"

Phil glanced at Cindy. Obviously the new CMO would need to be brought up to speed on the most recent events, particularly as the symptoms might still be extant and any further disciplinary issues which it could have a bearing on would need mindful handling, but surely that could wait until she had been here more than five minutes...

Cindy was looking back at him with what he had categorised as a dangerous expression - the sort where her eyes were saying one thing where her mouth was saying something different. He haded those looks - it meant he had a 50/50 chance of being wrong that in practise amounted to a million to one shot on picking the right one

"Yes, something to drink sounds like a fine idea."

Which either meant something to drink sounded like a fine idea, or that it really, really didn’t. Why couldn’t she be a Vulcan or a Betazoid? Then he’d know what she was saying was what she actually meant.

"I...mean you...er...you couldn't possibly go to the mess hall for your first drink, your welcoming toast! There are so many other ways it could be done better than...er...there. OH! You could go to Commander Phils quarters! I'm sure he has libations he could ply you with there! And look, he's nearly legless now he's missing an arm so you know he knows a thing or two about drinks because of that!I...I could bring my photo albums.I WILL BRING MY PHOTO ALBUMS!" Keth exclaimed, before leaving fast enough that the CMO had yet to arrive.

Phil sighed with relief as the Huanni disappeared round the corner. He hadn’t had a clue how to get a word in edgeways to that little…

“Leg,” he muttered under his breath. “Just the one leg and only half of it. Not my arm.” He turned and led the way to the turbolift. “Now, where were we?” he continued, louder.

"Perhaps we should skip the Mess Hall,” Cindy suggested. “I know that Mister Soban has a tendency to get a little over exuberant." She led the way to a near turbolift. "Engineering, perhaps?" She ordered the turbolift, once all were inside, "Engineering," without waiting for any confirmation.

Phil waited until the lift doors had closed and they were a clear couple of levels away before clearing his throat.

“Yes, you will need to catch up on the Vivyra case - I’m sure your staff will have the notes written up and waiting for you. If you can make that a priority once you get to Sick Bay... I would prefer not to influence your interpretation beforehand.”

The doors whooshed open.

Iar Edra

Postby Iar Edra » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:57 pm

Amanda Rose

Postby Amanda Rose » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:50 pm

Cmdr Phil

Postby Cmdr Phil » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:08 pm

Varina nodded. "Aye, Sir. I'll be sure to do that whenever I'm able to get to Sickbay." Her eyes turned toward the open lift doors, and she stepped out, looking around. "Engineering, you said?" She tried to silence the sigh that escaped her lips. Perhaps they would be done with this soon enough for her to get to her duties.

Cindy noticed the boredom and said, "If you would prefer, we could go to my old haunts in science. Of course, the technology that we have here and in all of our departments is top of the line - the newest technology." Her last sentence was uttered in a very proud tone.

Phil had not missed the sigh either. “Alternatively, if you would prefer to get straight down to business, I’m sure we can show you some more highlights after you have had a chance to settle in.”

tag - Varina

“I would recommend starting with the most recent mission, in case there are any lingering effects… Aside from that, some of us have already had our statutory medicals, but there are always some who need a little more persuading of the importance of regular checks…”

tag - Cindy

Iar Edra

Postby Iar Edra » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:14 pm

Return to “Current Mission Logs”